Saturday August 24, 2019 03:05 AM Flash flooding devastated parts of York County a year ago Written by By TERESA BOECKEL, York Daily Record YORK, Pa. (AP) — On a recent evening, David and Christine Sangrey watched as a truck drove down their road to a bridge closed since last year after a devastating flash flood. The driver turned around and drove back the way he came. It happens often, said the Sangreys, who were eating dinner outside with their family at their home on Gipe Road in Chanceford Township. “It says ‘bridge out — road closed’ and they still come down and get upset because they’ve got to turn around,” David Sangrey said. One year ago, a flash flood over the Labor Day weekend destroyed roads, bridges and homes in southeastern York County. Eight to 14 inches of rain fell in a four-hour period in parts of southcentral Pennsylvania. In York County, six townships suffered the brunt of the flooding: Hellam, Chanceford, Lower Chanceford, Hopewell, East Hopewell and Fawn. The effects can still be seen a year later, with road closures, piles of debris washed downstream and empty lots where houses once stood. “That was the worst thing that… Read full this story
- Kerala flood devastation worsened by environmental degradation
- Hurricane Dorian: Storm claims lives, bodies ‘floating in the water’
- Extreme weather: Between deluge and drought, freshwater sources are struggling to replenish
- Florida braces as 'extremely dangerous' Hurricane Dorian strengthens to Category 4: Drivers abandon cars at gas stations, fuel runs out and supermarket shelves are emptied as 10 MILLION people in the cross-hairs prepare for storm that could be a CATEGORY 5
- Paris Agreement: What needs to happen for climate action to succeed?
- Hurricane Florence: Trump says government 'absolutely, totally prepared'
- World has failed to protect children in conflict in 2018 — UNICEF
Flash flooding damage remains a year after devastation have 292 words, post on www.readingeagle.com at August 24, 2019. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.