This undated photo provided by Grand Forks County Sheriff’s Department shows an overweight semi has caused the collapse of a small, historic bridge near Northwood, N.D. Authorities say the semi, with a trailer load of dry beans, was traveling on the 56-foot-long, restricted-weight bridge over the Goose River Monday, July 22, 2019, when it gave way. (Grand Forks County Sheriff’s Department via AP) lessThis undated photo provided by Grand Forks County Sheriff’s Department shows an overweight semi has caused the collapse of a small, historic bridge near Northwood, N.D. Authorities say the semi, with a trailer … more
NORTHWOOD, N.D. (AP) — Sheriff’s officials say an overweight semitrailer loaded with dried beans caused a more-than-century-old bridge to collapse in North Dakota.
Grand Forks County sheriff’s officials say the bridge over the Goose River near Northwood collapsed Monday afternoon. Photos show the wooden and iron span buckling under the weight of the vehicle. The bridge is partly submerged in the water.
The 56-foot-long (17-meter-long) bridge was built in 1906 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
It has a 14 ton weight restriction. Sheriff’s officials say the semitrailer was 29 tons over that limit.
The driver, who was not injured, faces an $11,400 overload fine.
Officials say it will cost up to $1 million to replace the bridge.
Northwood is about 200 miles (320 kilometers) northeast of Bismarck.
- Over 100-year-old Colvale chapel faces demolition
- Stark 100-year-old pictures show horrifying conditions Brit soldiers faced in the First World War trenches
- 100-year-old poppy seller in Queen's Birthday Honours
- Queen's honours: 100-year-old poppy seller leads Welsh list
- 100-year-old Newport poppy seller 'no plans to retire'
- Protesters in Chile Set Fire to 100-year-old University Building, Loot Church
- 100-Year-Old Veteran Recalls Battles Of WWII
- Shipwreck reveals its boozy treasure: Czar’s 100-year-old liquor salvaged from WW I wreck
- Public invited to funeral of 100-year-old war veteran with no family
- 100-Year-Old World War II Veteran Shares Her Memories Of Service As A Flying Nurse