PUBLISHED: 10:58 17 July 2019 | UPDATED: 10:58 17 July 2019
Cromer’s restored war memoral. Picture: STUART ANDERSON
A couple photographed eating their lunch while sitting on Cromer’s War Memorial have been called ‘disrespectful’ and ‘ignorant’ after the image sparked outrage online.
The photo of the elderly pair, which showed them on the bottom tier of the memorial, was shared online on Tuesday and received hundreds of comments.
The controversy comes just four months after a man was photographed sitting on the top tier of the memorial during Cromer’s Vintage 1960s Festival and has renewed calls for the memorial to be fenced off.
Bridgette Dowsing, who posted the picture, said: “Despite asking them not to sit on the War Memorial and pointing out the sign, she did get up to read it.
“She said ‘the dead won’t mind’. They continued eating even though there were seats elsewhere.”
You may also want to watch:
There is a sign at the base of the memorial asking people not to climb onto the structure.
Nicky Nobbs said: “It saddens me when people say the young are disrespectful.
Some are, some aren’t, it’s the same in all generations. People don’t just start being respectful as they grow older.”
Some people did not understand why the pair were being called disrespectful, Clair Hurd said: “They aren’t damaging it, I’m not sure they can be classed as disrespectful.
“If they were spray painting it or defacing it in some way then yes, it’s disrespectful but I don’t think sitting quietly to have a bite to eat is that bad.”
While Raymond Grisby said: “If I had died defending our freedom, I would be delighted that people enjoy that hard won freedom, If they showed respect and enjoyed their experience, bravo.”
Do you think it is disrespectful to sit on the war memorial? Email [email protected]
- Why The Secret Won't Make You Rich Or Happy
- Quit Smoking Tips - 7 Honest Tips Even Your Doctor Won't Tell You
- The Real Reason Why Crunches Alone Won't Give You a Six-Pack
- 2008 Graduates - 20 Things You Probably Won't Hear at Commencement Ceremonies
- What to Do If He Won't Commit
- Getting Rid of Age Signs on Your Skin - It's Easier Than You Think
- Female Sex Appeal - Make Yourself More Sexually Attractive Instantly!
- The How To Guide To Organic Indoor Gardening
- Should You Have Wine Or Beer After Meals?
- Use Direct Mail to Consistently Promote Your Ad Agency