HAVANA — The first train using new equipment from China pulled out of Havana Saturday, hauling excited passengers on the start of a 915 kilometer (516 mile) journey to the eastern end of the island as the government tries to overhaul the country’s aging and decrepit rail system. The 14 gleaming Chinese cars and a locomotive departed the city’s central train station and will wend their way through nine cities before ending in Guantanamo 15 hours later. It has four air-conditioned wagons and a rolling restaurant car. Previously the trip could take days because of equipment breakdowns and track erosion. It marks a first step of an overhaul Cuba’s communist government started early last year, repairing some 2,600 miles of aging tracks and dozens of tumble-down stations scattered around the island.
- World's longest rail tunnel begins regular service in Switzerland
- Huawei boss says WA Government has nothing to fear over rail contract amid US-China fight
- Nations rally to help Italy: Germany, Russia, China and Cuba dispatch medics and supplies to coronavirus-stricken Rome… but Moscow's aid is declared 'useless'
- Sydney-to-Melbourne train derailment at Wallan happened after track direction switch
- World's longest rail tunnel to open in Switzerland under Alps
- European leaders open world's longest rail tunnel in Switzerland
- World's steepest funicular rail line to open in Switzerland
- Bhopal's Nishatpura Rail Coach Factory Readies 40 Isolation Coaches for Covid-19 Patients
- China goes on the rails to rival Panama canal
- China plans Colombian rail link to challenge Panama canal
Cuba debuts modern Chinese train as rail overhaul begins have 245 words, post on www.dailyherald.com at July 12, 2019. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.