Where: Mt. Carmel High
Saturday: Field events, 10 a.m.; running events, noon
Next step: Top three performers in each event advance to the state championships.
Boys preview: Madison’s Kenan Christon is the national 200-meter-dash leader with his section record time of 20.55 seconds clocked in the prelims. He also ran 10.26 for the 100, which is faster than the 10.30 section record by Southwest’s Riley Washington in 1992, but the wind was too strong (2.6 mps) for it to be considered a record. Christon also tops the long jump qualifiers (23-41/2) as does the Warhawks’ 4×100 relay team (42.36), which Christon anchors. Elsewhere, state No. 2 Jacob Rice of Rancho Bernardo has cleared 16-4 in the pole vault numerous times but will be looking to break the section record of 16-8 set by El Camino’s Derek Scott in 2005. Sophomore Garret Brown of La Costa Canyon will provide the push with a best of 16 feet. The 1,600- and 3,200-meter runs figure to be highly competitive with the likes of La Costa Canyon’s Stanford twins, Garrett and Jacob; Mission Hills’ Jonathan Velasco; and LCC’s Caleb Niednagel.
Girls preview: Not only is Coronado’s Alysah Hickey looking to qualify to defend her state long jump title, she will be trying to surpass the section’s oldest girls record — 20-8 by Sweetwater’s Gail Devers in 1984. Hickey leads the state with a wind-aided 20-9. At the same time, she will be looking to advance in the high jump, where she leads the state at 5-101/2 with her eye toward the section record of 5-11 by LCC’s Whitney Sisler in 2010. La Costa Canyon’s Kristin Fahy set the section 3,200 record (10:15.80) at Arcadia and is primed to defend her title. Rancho Bernardo soph Ashley Callahan equaled the section pole vault mark (13-6) earlier this year. Returning section champs include Madison’s Aysha Shaheed (100), Olympian’s Adaeze Noble (400), LCC’s Jessica Riedman (800), San Diego’s Sonia Redon (100 hurdles), Poway’s Camryn Thomson (pole vault) and Gompers’ Jazmine Scott (triple jump).
Brand is a freelance writer.
- 2020 World Track Cycling Championships TV, live stream schedule
- ‘Back yourselves’: How Australia prepare for the Track World Championships
- MLS preview: MLS Cup places to be booked on Sunday
- 2020 Honda Classic picks, predictions, odds: Ranking the field at PGA National
- Polestar Precept Concept Previews Brand's Not-Too-Distant Future
- 2021 World Baseball Classic dates, venues announced: Marlins Park will host championship round
- Royal Troon tabbed to host 2023 Open Championship by the R&A to celebrate anniversary
- Team GB cyclists need to show Olympic form at world championships
- Update sees National Championship odds improve for Georgia
- Joe Burrow’s record performance delivers charmed championship to Ed Orgeron and LSU