Has there ever been a novel with a more misleading opening sentence than Weetzie Bat? Francesca Lia Block’s 1989 debut begins: The reason Weetzie Bat hated high school was because no one understood. On the basis of that sentence alone—its stale familiarity, its clunky syntax (“the reason was because”), its pandering parents-just-don’t-understand gloss on adolescent alienation—you’d expect the most formulaic of young adult fiction. On the basis of that sentence alone, you probably wouldn’t keep reading. Certainly you would never guess what follows: They didn’t even realize where they were living. They didn’t care that Marilyn’s prints were practically in their backyard at Grauman’s; that you could buy tomahawks and plastic palm tree wallets at Farmer’s Market, and the wildest, cheapest cheese and bean and hot dog and pastrami burritos at Oki Dogs; that the waitresses wore skates at the Jetson-style Tiny Naylor’s; that there was a fountain that turned tropical soda-pop colors, and a canyon where Jim Morrison and Houdini used to live, and all-night potato knishes at Canter’s, and not too far away was Venice, with columns, and canals, even, like the real Venice but maybe cooler because of the surfers. Surprise! Weetzie Bat is not a novel… Read full this story
- Seeing Jack Johnson in 2018 means nostalgia, mellow vibes and escape
- Book excerpt: In ‘Ninety Percent Mental,’ Concord’s Bob Tewksbury explores the hidden game of baseball
- Miller: Author Patrick McManus touched readers with comedy, nostalgia
- Ninety nine percent of fake news originate from Malaysia
- NOSTALGIA: Can you ID Portsmouth brickfields workers?
- Nostalgia! Amitabh Bachchan shares memories of his colleagues
- This immaculately maintained jelly-bean Maruti Zen evokes nostalgia
- Against Atlético Madrid, Arsenal must block out the babble and concentrate only on the here and now
- The history behind Cardiff's hidden clocks
Francesca Lia Block and Nineties Nostalgia have 300 words, post on www.theparisreview.org at May 19, 2019. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.