NEW YORK — Attorney Michael Avenatti said Tuesday he expects to be indicted in the coming days in New York, following his March arrest on charges he tried to extort millions of dollars from Nike. Avenatti posted a Twitter message saying he intends to fight the “legally baseless allegations” and vowed to clear his name. He said he expects the indictment to be handed up within the next 48 hours. The U.S. Attorney’s Office in Manhattan declined to comment.Avenatti, 48, was arrested in March after federal prosecutors said he threatened to expose that Nike improperly paid high school basketball players unless the company paid him up to $25 million.He has denied those allegations and separate charges of tax, wire and bank fraud in California. Prosecutors there say Avenatti embezzled settlement funds and proceeds from other matters he handled for several clients.Avenatti described the New York indictment as “the formal charging document that usually follows a criminal complaint, which is what was issued in connection with my arrest.”He said he intends to plead not guilty to the charges.”I look forward to the trial where I can begin to clear my name,” he wrote on Twitter.Avenatti rose to fame representing porn actress… Read full this story
- Apple v. Samsung begins today, but don't expect Perry Mason-like court case
- Comments for : Apple v. Samsung begins today, but don't expect Perry Mason-like court case
- Trapped residents, visitors in Hawaii victims of extortion, police say
- All The New Cases From CES 2018
- Cougar Shows Off New Cases At PAX East
- Fractal Design Releases Meshify C Mini Case With Tempered Glass
- Lian Li Embraces Glass And RGB Lighting With The Alpha 550 Case
- Is Sean Hannity Avoiding Stormy Daniels’ Lawyer Michael Avenatti?
- 5 more Nike executives are out amid inquiry into harassment allegations
- Cohen's attorneys accuse Michael Avenatti of targeting the wrong Michael Cohen in bombshell report
Avenatti expects imminent indictment in Nike extortion case have 317 words, post on www.dailyherald.com at May 21, 2019. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.