The first trailer for the upcoming Warner Bros. and DC Comics film The Joker, starring Joaquin Phoenix, was released at CinemaCon today.
The movie, which is directed by Todd Phillips, will hit theaters on October 4, but fans were offered a brief glimpse at the latest film adaption of Gotham City. Other cast members include Robert De Niro, Frances Conroy, and Bill Camp.
“My mother always tells me to smile and put on a happy face — she told me I had a purpose to bring laughter and joy to the world,” Phoenix says in the trailer while playing Arthur Fleck, a stand-up comedian who becomes the Joker due to his plummeting career and being beaten in the streets.
The Joker‘s storyline is independent of the DC Extended Universe, where recent films like Wonder Woman (2017), Justice League (2017), and Aquaman (2018) are based.
If it fits in a genre, Phillips told the Associated Press the film is a “tragedy.” He also pushed back against early speculation about the film, since not a lot of information is out yet, but acknowledged “that’s what happens when you set out to make an origin story about a character who doesn’t have an origin.”
[image via screengrab]
Have a tip we should know? [email protected]
- Warner Bros. gives Joaquin Phoenix's Joker movie a 2019 release date
- Joaquin Phoenix's Joker movie is officially a go and will shoot in September
- Joaquin Phoenix’s ‘Joker’ Movie Changes The Name Of Arkham Asylum
- Robert De Niro Reveals New Details On His Character In Joaquin Phoenix’s ‘Joker’ Movie
- How Joaquin Phoenix’s Joker Movie Differs From Previous Incarnations
- ‘Glow’ Star Marc Maron Eyed For Joaquin Phoenix’s Joker Movie
- Check Out Every Image From Joaquin Phoenix’s ‘Joker’ Movie Here
- WB Announces Release Date And Title For Joaquin Phoenix’s Joker Movie
- Deadpool 2 Star Zazie Beetz In Talks To Join Joaquin Phoenix’s Joker Movie
- Joaquin Phoenix's Joker Movie Has a Major Batman Connection?