A sarcophagus believed to contain an Egyptian nobleman will be opened on live TV during a special broadcast by the American channel Discovery. The two-hour “Expedition Unknown: Egypt Live” will air Sunday night (0000 GMT Monday) from the site outside Minya, which is along the Nile River south of Cairo and its Giza pyramids. Egypt has sought to promote archeological discoveries across the country in a bid to revive tourism hit by turmoil after the 2011 uprising against Hosni Mubarak. The country’s Supreme Council of Antiquities declined to comment, even though Discovery announced that council head Mostafa Waziri would be present for the event. The site containing the sarcophagus was discovered in February last year, and a Discovery spokesman told AFP that the project was set up in collaboration with Egypt’s antiquities ministry. Archeologists at the site recently discovered a network of vertical shafts leading to a network of tunnels and tombs containing 40 mummies “believed to be part of the noble elite.” In one of those, a limestone sarcophagus holding a 3,000-year-old mummy is to be opened during the show. Discovery declined to disclose the identity of the mummy prior to the broadcast. Prominent Egyptian archaeologist and former antiquities… Read full this story
- Hayden Panettiere 'frequently travels' to the Ukraine to visit her four-year-old daughter Kaya who lives with her ex Wladimir Klitschko
- Tommy the Talking Turtle, unicorns, slime, and Polaris missiles… The task of designing toys aimed at 6-8 year-olds went predictably wrong on The Apprentice, by Jim Shelley
- Selma Blair is magnificent in magenta as the 47-year-old lights up the stage at Time 100 Health Summit
- Homeless charity shares shocking image of five-year-old boy in emergency accommodation eating his dinner off cardboard on the pavement in Dublin
- Mom who reported her 14-year-old son for threatening to shoot up Indiana middle school now faces felony charges herself after it emerged she took him out of mental health facility and let him stop taking medication
- BREAKING NEWS: Huge police presence at apartment complex as police hunt for three-year-old who was abducted
- Son is arrested 'after banning his 89-year-old father from using a walker, making him crawl and stepping on his fingers because he found it "funny"
- 4,000-year-old mummies showed early signs of heart disease
- Adorable moment one-year-old toddler in Texas waits with open arms to give her older sister a hug as she gets home from school
- What a 10 Year Old Can Teach You About Law of Attraction
Thousands-year-old Egypt sarcophagus to be opened on live TV have 399 words, post on en.rfi.fr at April 4, 2019. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.