Sections SEARCH Skip to content Skip to site index Technology Subscribe Log In Log In Today’s Paper Technology | R.I.P. to a Startling Facebook Feature: Reminders of Dead Friends’ Birthdays Advertisement Supported by ByMihir Zaveri April 10, 2019 The notifications on Facebook come as unwelcome reminders of personal loss: A recommendation to add a cousin’s dead son as a friend. A video commemorating friendship with a sibling who died years ago. A suggestion to wish a dead brother “Happy Birthday.” While Facebook has emerged as a remarkable tool to preserve cherished memories of departed friends and family, it has also served up these and other troubling — and often unexpected — notifications. On Tuesday, Facebook announced several changes aimed at easing users’ grief. The social media company is using artificial intelligence “to minimize experiences that might be painful,” Sheryl Sandberg, Facebook’s chief operating officer, said in a statement posted to the company’s website. “We use AI to help keep it from showing up in places that might cause distress, like recommending that person be invited to events or sending a birthday reminder to their friends,” Ms. Sandberg said. “We’re working to get better and faster at this.” The announcement came… Read full this story
- Facebook is collecting your SMS texts, calls and contacts – how to stop it
- Zombie Apocalypse Now: ‘Night of the Living Dead’ at 50
- Facebook Wants To Handle More of Your Digital Payments
- How To (Mostly) Stop Facebook From Sharing Your Data
- Paul Walker's Daughter Meadow Gets Sweet Birthday Message From ''Uncle'' Vin Diesel
- Great moments in PC gaming: "Don't startle the witch"
- How to manage Facebook notifications
- They pontificate about the evils of guns. So why DID Hugh Grant, Naomi Campbell and Leona Lewis jet in for lavish birthday bash of Herr Glock - maker of the world's most famous handgun?
- Police officers shot dead in Baton Rouge, Louisiana: report
- The ultimate 50th birthday present! Woman gifts her friend a 'survival kit' as she enters her sixth decade - complete with 'lost' marbles and a 50c coin to kickstart her retirement fund
R.I.P. to a Startling Facebook Feature: Reminders of Dead Friends’ Birthdays have 341 words, post on www.nytimes.com at April 10, 2019. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.