Sections SEARCH Skip to content Skip to site index Technology Subscribe Log In Log In Today’s Paper Technology | R.I.P., the Facebook Feature We All Loved: Reminders of Dead Friends’ Birthdays Advertisement Supported by ByMihir Zaveri April 10, 2019 The notifications on Facebook come as unwelcome reminders of personal loss: A recommendation to add a cousin’s dead son as a friend. A video commemorating friendship with a sibling who died years ago. A suggestion to wish a dead brother “Happy Birthday.” While Facebook has emerged as a remarkable tool to preserve cherished memories of departed friends and family, it has also served up these and other troubling — and often unexpected — notifications. On Tuesday, Facebook announced several changes aimed at easing users’ grief. The social media company is using artificial intelligence “to minimize experiences that might be painful,” Sheryl Sandberg, Facebook’s chief operating officer, said in a statement posted to the company’s website. “We use AI to help keep it from showing up in places that might cause distress, like recommending that person be invited to events or sending a birthday reminder to their friends,” Ms. Sandberg said. “We’re working to get better and faster at this.” The announcement… Read full this story
- Actress Sue Johnston says she cannot bring herself to delete dead friends’ numbers from her phone as it is too final
- Facebook reveals snooping ‘Nearby Friends’ MAPS feature that lets people stalk your movements
- What's next for Facebook and Mark Zuckerberg?
- The seven stress-free places to book your child's birthday party
- Facebook 'founder' claims social media site has caused 'countless deaths' by failing to protect users
- Facebook’s Tinder rival dating app is one step closer ‘as social giant begins testing among its staff’
- Facebook DOUBLES the time it takes to delete your account – to a whole month
- Facebook hack LATEST – attackers got complete access to 50MILLION accounts’ profiles, posts, photos and messages
- Celebrate family life and help refugees forced from loved ones
- The huge Facebook hack is even worse than initially thought
R.I.P., the Facebook Feature We All Loved: Reminders of Dead Friends’ Birthdays have 332 words, post on www.nytimes.com at April 10, 2019. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.