When Adam Moss stepped down as editor of New York magazine last month, it marked the end of an era. Since taking the helm of the august title in 2004, Moss had helped set the industry standard for magazine journalism, documenting the life of the city in all its highbrow, lowbrow, brilliant, and despicable glory. Of course, as dedicated media-watchers know, much of the New York‘s DNA was apparent three decades ago, when Moss emerged from Manhattan’s media landscape as the 30-year-old wunderkind behind the much-loved, short-lived 7 Days magazine. Published by then-Voice owner Leonard Stern for two years bridging the ’80s and ’90s, 7 Days was a glorious failure, bleeding money, but minting the reputations for a generation of fledgling journalists. Flipping through the 7 Days archives today is an exercise in delightful discovery. There’s Jeffrey Toobin writing about the Yankees, long before he became the lead legal analyst for the New Yorker; future best-selling author Meg Wolitzer (The Wife) writing the weekly crossword puzzle; a regular magazine-watching column from fellow future best-selling author Walter Kirn (Up in the Air); Peter Schjeldahl covering the arts scene; Joan Acocella on dance. Over the next week, we here at the Voice archives will be sharing… Read full this story
- Will Smith, Martin Lawrence begin shooting ‘Bad Boys For Life’
- Will Smith Summer Movies Ranked by Worldwide Box Office Draw: From ‘Hancock’ to ‘Independence Day’ (Photos)
- 8 Highlights From Miami Art Week
- 28 Art Exhibitions to View in N.Y.C. This Weekend
- Does Having a Day Job Mean Making Better Art?
- 25 Art Exhibitions to View in N.Y.C. This Weekend
- 27 Art Exhibitions to View in N.Y.C. This Weekend
- 26 Art Exhibitions to View in N.Y.C. This Weekend
- 31 Art Exhibitions to View in N.Y.C. This Weekend
- In a Season of Boys’ Choirs, a Question: Why No Girls?
7 Days: Larry Gagosian, Art’s Bad Boy have 306 words, post on www.villagevoice.com at April 12, 2019. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.