The Associated Press Published 7:32 PM EDT Mar 23, 2019 Helsinki – Rescue workers off Norway’s western coast rushed to evacuate 1,300 passengers and crew from a disabled cruise ship by helicopter on Saturday, winching them one-by-one to safety as heaving waves tossed the ship from side to side and high winds battered the operation. The Viking Sky issued a mayday call as bad weather hit and engine problems caused it to start drifting toward the rocky shore, the Norwegian newspaper VG reported. Police in the western county of Moere og Romsdal said the crew, fearing the ship would run aground, managed to anchor in Hustadvika Bay, between the Norwegian cities of Alesund and Trondheim, so the evacuations could take place. Rescue teams with helicopters and boats were sent to evacuate the cruise ship under extremely difficult circumstances, including gusts up to 38 knots (43 mph) and waves over 8 meters (26 feet). The area is known for its rough, frigid waters. The majority of the cruise ship passengers were reportedly British and American tourists. About 180 have been evacuated, according to rescue officials. Video and photos from people on the ship showed it heaving, with chairs and other furniture… Read full this story
- Carnival Cruise Ship Passenger Dies During Trip to Bahamas
- Cruise ship passengers do not have coronavirus, tests show
- Coast Guard recovers body of cruise ship passenger who fell from 10-story deck off Puerto Rico coast: report
- Coronavirus: Cruise ship passengers contained in Italy as cases continue to rise
- Virgin flight for cruise ship passengers quarantined at Gatwick
- Coast Guard hunts for cruise ship passenger off Puerto Rico
- More than 20 Australians are among 7,000 people in lockdown on a cruise ship in Italy as passengers prepare to leave vessel as medics confirm woman on board does NOT have coronavirus
- Frightening moment cruise ship rocks violently and hits harbour wall as it docks in extreme weather conditions in Norway
- Coronavirus: Brits among 7,000 trapped on cruise ship after couple fall ill
- Mom Desperate for Answers After Daughter Falls Overboard on Cruise Ship: 'I Want Her to Come Home'
Helicopters rescue Norway cruise ship passengers during storm have 342 words, post on eu.detroitnews.com at March 22, 2019. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.