Students are striking today to protest inaction on climate change. Georgia O’Callaghan / Getty News
GOOD MORNING, PORTLAND! I may run and hide when you’re screamin’ my name (alright). But let me tell you now, there are prices to fame (alright). LET’S GO TO PRESS.
Right-wing white supremacists are behind the absolutely horrifying attack on mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, that left 49 people dead and many more injured. Heavily armed gunmen wearing military garb were behind the well-orchestrated attack, and one man who, according to police, was a famed internet troll and had written a manifesto against Muslims and immigrants, broadcast parts of the massacre live on social media. Four people are in custody, though only three of them are thought to be involved in the violence. And if you’re the type of person that thinks that this tragedy doesn’t affect you since you live in America—the manifesto writer also name-checked Dylann Roof, the US citizen who, in 2015, murdered nine black people in a South Carolina church.
In another example of how social media companies are unable to control the monster they created, THIS: “More than eight hours after the shooting video was first live-streamed on Facebook—apparently by the man who killed 49 people in a mosque in Christchurch—it still was getting uploaded and re-uploaded continuously by other people onto YouTube.”
Thousands of school-age kids from around the globe are walking out of class today to protest the refusal of adults to deal with climate change. A rally for Portland students is planned for 11 am today at city hall. Tell your kid to go.
Class-action lawsuits are being filed, and students are getting their college admissions rescinded following the scandal of rich people scamming the system in order to get their kids into fancy universities.
Even before the recent crash of a 737 Max in Ethiopia, Boeing had been promising software repairs to the planes, and seemingly did nothing about it.
It was another TERRIBLE week for Trump as he was hit with a triple-whammy from Congress: they voted to end a Trump-supported war in Yemen, unanimously agreed in the House on a resolution to make Robert Mueller’s Russia probe public, and the Senate passed legislation to block the president’s emergency declaration to build his racist border wall. HA, HA, and HA.
Speaking of the Mueller probe, it still looks like it’s going strong with the special counsel’s steely eye currently being leveled on former Trump crony Rick Gates.
And in case you missed it, House Democrats roasted bridge-dwelling troll/ Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross for six hours on why he chose to include a citizenship question in the census. Unsurprisingly, the knockout blow was delivered by the always impressive AOC.
People are very mad—and rightfully so—that Netflix has cancelled their beloved show One Day at a Time.
Actress Rosario Dawson—WHOM I ADORE— has confirmed she is canoodling with Dem presidential candidate Cory Booker, and I am all up in that!
IN LOCAL NEWS: Portland commissioners are getting advice from prominent national Black Lives Matter activist DeRay Mckesson on how to deal with the city’s very problematic police union.
Why can’t Portland hold on to her cops? Our Alex Zee has a good report on that.
A lot of people showed up to protest ODOT’s plan to expand the I-5 corridor at the Rose Quarter, and for moral reasons. Our Blair Stenvick has the story.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY and continued success to Portland’s biggest record store Music Millennium, which turns a ripe and health 50 years old today!
Now let’s look skyward to the WEATHER: A very sunny day with a high of… 62? That’s THONG WEATHER, y’all!
And finally, this good doggie’s reaction to the death scene in the Lion King is how we all feel today.
- Putting the Lunacy of Terrorism Into Perspective
- Psychological Analysis of Violin Student Personality Traits 101
- Richard Wright Coming of Age in a White-Dominated South and Equipping Himself For Fighting Racism
- Investing - Could Terrorism Strike Your Nest Egg?
- Succeed by Whistling While You Work
- Interview With Stephen Paul, Author of "Hollow Bones"
- Shakespeare's Home Razed To The Ground and Utterly Destroyed
- Presenting - Ben Viccari - A Lifetime Dedicated to Multicultural Communications
- Hurricane Katrina: No Match for Hurricane C
- Our Generation Is Royally Screwed
- Kim Kardashian lays flowers at the Armenian Genocide Memorial Complex with Kourtney, Mason and Penelope during poignant moment… before snapping selfies with fans
- Was It Really Better In The Fifties?
- The Power of Story in the Face of Mortality
- A Case For Lebanon - A Non-Nuclear Oriented Argument Against The Islamic Republic
- Israel Must Be Wiped Off the Map - Origins of Treasongate
- Choosing Not to Entertain Charley
- Real Men, Real Depression! (Mental Health Matters)
- Democratic Presidential Debate: Six Key Questions
- Fail Failure or Never Fail
- Democrats hold first debate since impeachment inquiry
Good Morning, News: White Supremacist Terror, Students Strike Against Climate Change, and Trump's TERRIBLE Week have 828 words, post on www.portlandmercury.com at March 15, 2019. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.