ANNA Soubry was branded a “Nazi” and a “liar” by a mob who targeted her during a live television interview because of her stance against Brexit.
The pro-EU Independent MP has claimed there is a a small group of people “roaming around Westminster” who make abusive comments at MPs.
Who is Anna Soubry?
Anna Mary Soubry is a 62-year-old who was born in Lincoln and brought up in Dunham-on-Trent and Clumber Park in Nottinghamshire.
She was born on November 7, 1962, in Lincoln.
She is currently the member of parliament for Broxtowe in Nottinghamshire, but before this she worked as a journalist and a barrister.
The ex-Tory MP has two daughters from her first marriage.
In 2014, she told the BBC her split from husband number two left her “terribly upset”.
On February 20, along with Sarah Wollaston and Heidi Allen, she resigned from the Tory Party and joined the breakaway ex-Labour MPs.
What has she said about Brexit?
Ms Soubry strongly supports the UK’s membership of the EU and backed Remain in the referendum.
In December 2017, the ultra-remainer was one of 11 Conservative rebels who voted for Parliament having the vote on the final Brexit deal.
For this reason she was targeted by pro-Leave protesters who could be heard chanting “Soubry is a Nazi” as she appeared on TV news, prompting her to tell interviewer Simon McCoy: “I do object to being called a Nazi, actually.”
They also chanted slogans including “Liar, liar” throughout a live interview with Ms Soubry on Sky News.
Speaking up to be heard over the chants, Ms Soubry told interviewer Kay Burley: “I don’t have a problem with people demonstrating and making their views heard. I have a real problem with people who call me a traitor or ‘Soubry, you Nazi’.
“That is a criminal offence and I’m a criminal barrister.”
She added: “I’m afraid the truth is that Brexit has unleashed these people. This is Britain now. This is not the country I know and love and these people do not represent our country and they need sorting out.”
Ms Soubry was demanding action after police stood by and did nothing.
One of the protesters, James Goddard, has since been charged with harassment.
LATEST ON BREXIT
PM cannot rely on desires to ‘get Brexit done’ to glue his New Tory coalition
BORIS BANS GOAT
Messi could be barred from UK after Brexit if Barca draw English team in CL
OVER TO EU
Brexit to come ‘soon’ after Boris election win as EU ‘ready for next phase’
No deal Brexit could force Gareth Bale to leave Spain.. and sign for Man Utd
Trump says US will strike massive trade deal with Britain after Brexit
TOM NEWTON DUNN
Boris’ crushing win puts him in the same league of party heroes as Thatcher
Who is her partner Neil Davidson?
On her official website she says she tries to spend as much time with her children and her partner, Neil Davidson.
Mr Davidson is the chairman of Cricketer Publishing Ltd.
He is also a non-executive Director of Produce Investments plc and Morrisons.
Anna told the BBC that it was her daughter and her school friend who brought her and Neil together by playing match makers.
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at [email protected] or call 0207 782 4368. You can WhatsApp us on 07810 791 502. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.
- Betrayed by Chuka the cad, Anna Soubry wallows in self-pity. But what of her constituents?
- Anna Soubry says Chuka Umunna made 'very serious mistake' in quitting Change UK
- Five anti-Brexit MPs sent photo of crossbow alongside threatening message
- Change UK – The Independent Group: What do they stand for, and who are their MEP candidates running for election?
- Grassroots Tory activists 'want to defy Cameron and support Brexit': Only two of 68 constituency parties insist they want to stay in the EU
- No 10's lurid claims on the Brexit: Phone bills and air fares will soar - oh and crime will rise too!
- Ruth Davidson resigns admitting 'conflict' over Boris Johnson's Brexit
- A people’s vote on Brexit can happen – here's how
- UK election 2019: Where does each party stand on Brexit?
- ‘Member of the Public’ Who Heckled Farage is Labour Party Association Chairman
- Brexit bankroller Arron Banks blocked from joining Tories after vowing to hijack leadership contest
- Boris Johnson ‘whipping up riot fears to avoid Brexit extension’
- Mass tactical voting campaign planned to win second referendum on Brexit
- SNP say they could back Jeremy Corbyn as a temporary PM to stop no-deal Brexit
- Strictly’s Alex Scott slams BBC bosses for ditching Kevin Clifton and reuniting her with Neil Jones
- Strictly's Neil Jones CONFIRMS he will return to the dance floor with partner Alex Scott for Saturday's live show following his calf injury
- Strictly's Alex Scott left 'fuming' after being reunited with Neil Jones and 'made it clear she wanted to dance with new partner Kevin Clifton'
- Strictly Come Dancing exclusive: Neil and Katya Jones on walking down the aisle again
- Will Strictly pro Kevin Clifton permanently replace injured Neil Jones as Alex's partner?
- Strictly fans cringe as Motsi Mabuse leaves Neil Jones red-faced with 'affair' gaffe
Who is Anna Soubry, what has she said about Brexit and who’s her partner Neil Davidson? have 888 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at February 20, 2019. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.