NEW YORK (AP) — The Latest on fallout from comments Liam Neeson made about wanting to kill a black person after a friend of his was raped nearly four decades ago (all times local):
The red carpet at the premiere of Liam Neeson’s newest film has been abruptly canceled amid fallout from the actor’s comments about decades-old thoughts he had about killing a black person.
Organizers of the New York premiere of “Cold Pursuit” informed journalists that interviews and photo opportunities had been canceled on Tuesday afternoon, a couple hours before the event was supposed to start. The film’s screening Tuesday night will continue as planned.
The changes came hours after Neeson appeared on “Good Morning America” to address his comments, telling interviewer Robin Roberts that he is not a racist. He was quoted in an interview by the Independent on Monday describing his violent thoughts about killing a black person nearly 40 years ago after learning that someone close to him had been raped.
The actor told Roberts discussion talk about these things is needed because bigotry and racism exist.
This story has been corrected to show that the red carpet for the film premiere, not the entire event, has been canceled.
Liam Neeson says violence breeds violence and bigotry breeds bigotry.
The 66-year-old actor appeared Tuesday on ABC’s “Good Morning America,” one day after he told an interviewer that he had violent thoughts about killing a black person after learning nearly 40 years ago that someone close to him had been raped.
Neeson says he had asked about the race of the attacker, along with other descriptive characteristics.
He says he had a “primal urge to lash out” before he was shocked by his reaction and sought help from a priest and friends.
Neeson says he’s not a racist.
The actor says we need to talk about these things because bigotry and racism exist.
Neeson was promoting his new thriller, “Cold Pursuit.”
- Janet, Lena, Latifah and More: Black Girls Rock! Returns to the Red Carpet
- Nick Lachey reunites with boyband 98 Degrees as they lead red carpet arrivals at Miss USA 2018
- Are the Emmys the new Oscars? A-list talent on the 2018 Emmy red carpet
- Liam Neeson to play revenge-bent snowplow driver in his next movie
- Emmys 2018: Why is the red carpet gold?
- OsCARS: The 8 Best Vehicles for Making a Red Carpet Splash
- Royalty in Our DNA: Black Girls Rock! the Stage, the Screen and the Red Carpet
- Italdesign Giugiaro Rolls Out the (Virtual) Red Carpet with Handsome, Autonomous GEA Concept
- Glamour night for sport as Charlotte Flair and Paige Spiranac dazzle on ESPY awards red carpet
- Brownlow Medal red carpet fashion ratings 2018