As we anticipate what big commercials are coming our way for the Super Bowl this year, we can’t help but ponder- will we see any surprise video game commercials? Granted, we already know about Microsoft’s heart-warming ad surrounding the Adaptive Controller; but we’re talking about, well, seeing Nintendo again.
Just mere months after the company took a surprising new approach with its advertising for the Nintendo Switch, it premiered a Super Bowl ad for the system on February 1, changing the way it advertised to audiences forever. Gone were the “hey, let’s cater to kids” ad in favor of reaching out to more of a general audience with games like The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and 1-2-Switch! And, boy, did it pay off.
The ad, which can be seen above, is set to the tune of Imagine Dragons’ “Believer,” and is a highly effective one that shows off the durability of the Switch console.
It begins with a player enjoying Breath of the Wild on his handheld system, then with a father and son trading punches with ARMS on the big-screen.
But then other examples are shown, like teens having a “quick draw contest” with 1-2-Switch! and a couple of folks enjoying a round of Just Dance.
Other examples are shown, but it’s a pretty ideal way to showcase what the Switch can do, while at the same time catering to audiences that may not have shown interesting based on the nature of the company’s previous ads. Two years later, it’s still as effective as ever, even though more contemporary games like Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and Splatoon 2 have easily taken over in terms of popularity.
So…yeah. We can’t help but wonder if Nintendo has something planned for this year. After its stellar holiday season and huge sales numbers for games like Super Mario Odyssey and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, it certainly has the bankroll to spread the word. But, hey, maybe it’s just planning to invest in great titles instead. And we’d be fine with that.
Still, if you’re feeling nostalgic, check out the ad above. It’s still good fun to watch. And, no, it won’t judge you if you ask if Nintendo Switch is just okay.
What do you think about Nintendo’s Super Bowl ad from a couple of years ago? Let me know on Twitter at @TheDCD!
- Chiefs’ add Suggs to defensive mix for Super Bowl push
- Nintendo Set to Release Two New Switch Consoles, per Report
- Lenovo Buys Motorola, Google Glass Games, Super Bowl XLVIII Beats [Tech News Digest]
- The theft of Tom Brady's jersey after Super Bowl LI in Houston has been turned into a documentary
- Jennifer Lopez, 50, looks incredible as she flashes her toned abs in black sports bra while training for her Super Bowl performance
- The best Nintendo Switch deals and bundles for January 2020
- The Nintendo Switch Has Now Outsold the Wii U
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Adds Melee Tribute Tournament
- Noted Stock Analyst the Amazing Kreskin Says Facebook Is Going Down
- Navy Midshipmen Took New England Patriots’ Private Jet to Bowl Game
- Top 5 Best Nintendo Switch Games of 2019 - 'Pokémon,' 'Fire Emblem' & More
- The best Nintendo Switch deal for Cyber Week includes a $20 credit and a case
- Best Cyber Monday gaming deals 2019: Xbox, PlayStation, and Nintendo
- Amazon's Huge End-Of-Year Sale Includes PS4, Switch, And Xbox One Games
- Nintendo Reveals Which Switch Games Were Downloaded Most in 2019
- Super Mario 3D World review
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Adds VR Support
- Nintendo Switch January 2020 Releases: 'Tokyo Mirage Sessions' Highlights New Year
- Nintendo Celebrates the Holidays With an ASMR Yule Log Video
- Nintendo Switch tips and tricks to make the most out of your console this Christmas
Remember Nintendo’s Amazing Super Bowl Ad For the Nintendo Switch? have 627 words, post on comicbook.com at February 3, 2019. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.