In a rebuke to President Donald Trump, the governor of California on Monday was set to sign an order to pull most of the National Guard troops deployed on the Mexico border. Governor Gavin Newsom’s office said he was signing the order ahead of his State of the State speech on Tuesday. “The border ’emergency’ is a manufactured crisis,” according to excerpts of the speech sent to AFP by his office. “And California will not be part of this political theater.” Newsom’s office said most of the 360 troops deployed at the US-Mexico border will be redeployed to focus on “the actual threats” facing the western state, such as wildfires. The decision follows similar action last month by New Mexico Governor Michelle Lujan Grusham, who ordered the withdrawal of the majority of National Guard troops at the border. Although Trump has ordered thousands of military personnel to be deployed on the southern border, the National Guard remain under the command of authorities in each state. Trump argues the troops, who are supposed to provide surveillance and assist border agents, are needed to fight illegal immigration. The troops cannot act to enforce the law or to make arrests. Newsom’s predecessor, Jerry… Read full this story
- Republican governor: ‘Serious constitutional concerns’ about deploying the National Guard for immigration enforcement
- California governor: Christmas fires 'the new reality'
- White House calls AP report on potential mobilization of the National Guard to lead deportations ‘100% not true’
- California National Guard on enlistment bonus scandal: ‘We’ve done everything we can’
- The Michigan National Guard is handing out thousands of water bottles for a disturbing reason
- National Guard deployed vs Ferguson protests
- The top commander of the DC National Guard is being removed on inauguration day
- Ukraine national guard: cease-fire is holding
- National Guard activated after fatal Milwaukee shooting
- Mexican Cartel Crashes Drone IED into Home of Border State Security Chief
California governor to withdraw National Guard from border have 309 words, post on en.rfi.fr at February 11, 2019. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.