The new year has just begun and yet Houston TV reporters are already making moves.
While KPRC’s Ryan Korgard is saying farewell to Houston, abc13’s Travis Herzog is moving up the ladder at KTRK, not away from the Bayou City. Read on for details.
KPRC’s Ryan Korsgard is leaving the local TV station. The reporter, who has worked at Channel 2 for nearly 16 years, will sign off on January 18.
Korsgard’s reason for leaving? “I’m getting married and moving to Austin,” he tells Chron.com.
It’s a city with which he is familiar. Prior to accepting a position at KPRC, Korsgard was a reporter at KVUE 24 Austin.
“I moved to Houston knowing only one person. To go from that one person to, now, knowing a lot of people … I’ve built a home here,” he says.
“I’ve loved my time at KPRC including covering NASA and the space industry. Where else do you get that kind of opportunity?” he adds.
While the Oklahoma native has yet to make any decisions regarding his future career plans, “A few months off would be just fine with me,” he notes, Korsgard is working on his wedding plans.
“A friend may have said it best. She told me, ‘You’re giving up your first love for your life love.'”
Herzog is moving up, not away. He makes the jump from meteorologist to chief meteorologist at abc13 beginning on January 14, according to a press release from the station sent on Friday.
Herzog, who has been part of the KTRK weather team since July of 2006, has earned several accolades during his time with the Houston TV station, including “Broadcaster of the Year” honors from the National Weather Association, “Best Weathercast” in Texas from the Associated Press, and top on-air personality from the Media Alliance of Houston.
RELATED: Houston weatherman Doug Johnson dies
Born and raised in Texas, Herzog earned his meteorology degree from Texas A&M University.
He will assume his new role mid-January, when he moves from the weekday morning show to weekday evenings at 5 p.m., 6 p.m. and 10 p.m.
Marcy de Luna is a digital reporter specializing in social media, the famous, and food. You can follow her on Twitter @MarcydeLuna and Facebook @MarcydeLuna. Read her stories on our breaking news site, Chron.com, and on our subscriber site, HoustonChronicle.com. | [email protected] | Text CHRON to 77453 to receive breaking news alerts by text message
- STEPHEN GLOVER: Our TV news obsesses over a niche Tory Twitter row... while Jeremy Corbyn's serial lies go unchallenged
- Kate Middleton gives first-ever TV news interview as she praises ‘really special’ Pakistan on royal tour
- MSNBC Guest Calls Trump Out for Only Attacking Black Fox News Personalities: 'That's Who He Is'
- TV News Roundup: Mira Sorvino, Rory Culkin Join Quibi Series ‘Emma’
- TV News Roundup: Netflix Sets Premiere Date for Final Season of Fuller House
- TV News Roundup: ‘Stumptown’ Adds Inbar Lavi in Guest Role
- Friday the 13th TV Series Canceled at The CW?
- Riddick 4 and TV Show Spinoff Announced by Vin Diesel
- Tremors TV Show Heads to Amazon, Kevin Bacon Reveals New Details
- X-Men TV Show Legion Gets Series Order on FX