An exact release date has yet to be announced, and a source told Variety that such an announcement was still “months away.” However, Netflix did confirm a few details about the film, including its title, Rolling Thunder Revue: A Bob Dylan Story by Martin Scorsese, and that the famously interview-averse Dylan did speak on camera for the project.
Netflix also shared a short statement about the film: “Rolling Thunder Revue: A Bob Dylan Story by Martin Scorsese captures the troubled spirit of America in 1975 and the joyous music that Dylan performed during the fall of that year. Part documentary, part concert film, part fever dream, Rolling Thunder is a one of a kind experience, from master filmmaker Martin Scorsese.”
Along with the Dylan interview, Rolling Thunder Revue is expected to feature interviews with other performers on the tour. The majority of the interviews were reportedly conducted by Dylan’s longtime manager, Jeff Rosen, who also did the interviews for Scorsese’s 2005 Dylan film, No Direction Home.
Dylan’s Rolling Thunder Revue tour took place between 1975 and 1976, and found the musician playing a series of theater shows with little advanced notice. Among the participants were Joan Baez, Roger McGuinn and Ramblin’ Jack Elliott, while one-off special guests included Ringo Starr, Patti Smith and Joni Mitchell.
Along with the long-awaited Rolling Thunder Revue documentary, the Dylan camp has reportedly also been prepping a new box set featuring music from that era. In a 2017, a source close to the Dylan team told Rolling Stone, “It’s a great period and there’s so much music that was so well-recorded. I think that’ll be a great companion piece to the film. We have incredible, incredible stuff.”
- Scorsese Documentary On Bob Dylan's Legendary Rolling Thunder Revue Hits Netflix In June
- A Nobel Prize for Bob Dylan, zero Nobel Prizes for women
- Today's Best Directors Are Men, According to Martin Scorsese
- Find Out What Lena Dunham, Janel Moloney, And Martin Scorsese Have To Say
- Will Bob Dylan (And Not Bob Seger) Be In Chrysler's Super Bowl Ad?
- An Open Letter to Martin Scorsese and Leonardo DiCaprio
- Martin Scorsese Made a Gorgeous Perfume Ad with ScarJo and McConaughey
- Find Out What Martin Scorsese, Julianne Moore, And Oprah Winfrey Have To Say
- Find Out What Margot Robbie, Martin Scorsese, And Paul Rudd Have To Say
- Find Out What Martin Scorsese, Michael Phelps, And Maya Rudolph Have To Say