A minivan slammed into pedestrians early Tuesday on a street where people had gathered for New Year’s festivities in downtown Tokyo, injuring eight people, police said. Police took into custody a man in his 20s but did not further identify him. Police said the man is suspected of intentionally trying to kill people by driving the small vehicle through the street, which local media said had been closed to vehicle traffic for holiday revelers. NHK TV footage showed a small van with the entire front end smashed and officers and ambulance workers rushing to the scene.Kyodo News service reported that a ninth person was injured and that the driver was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder. Police said they were busy and did not immediately confirm the Kyodo report.The crash occurred early Tuesday on Takeshita Dori, a road well known to tourists and pop culture and fashion fans that runs right by Meiji Shrine in Harajuku, Shibuya ward. Every New Year’s Eve, the train line that includes Harajuku station runs all night for people welcoming the new year with a shrine visit.
- Hull pedestrian, 67, killed after being struck by van
- 6 injured, 3 critically in Minneapolis bus stop crash
- 6 men injured, 3 critically in Minneapolis bus stop crash
- Man stabs kids at Japan bus stop; at least 19 people wounded
- Man accused of deliberately driving car into group of pedestrians, injuring 8
- Pedestrian killed in Hull crash identified as Robert Davis
- Can new signs help make Plattsburgh safer for pedestrians?
- Three people dead after separate morning car crashes in Houston
- [UPDATE] At Least 28 Dead_ 22 Injured In Madeira Bus Crash
- Sydney police find drug haul in van that hit police cars
Van slams into pedestrians on Tokyo road, injuring 8 people have 275 words, post on www.cbsnews.com at December 30, 2018. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.