A minivan slammed into pedestrians early Tuesday on a street where people had gathered for New Year’s festivities in downtown Tokyo, injuring eight people, police said. Police took into custody a man in his 20s but did not further identify him. Police said the man is suspected of intentionally trying to kill people by driving the small vehicle through the street, which local media said had been closed to vehicle traffic for holiday revelers. NHK TV footage showed a small van with the entire front end smashed and officers and ambulance workers rushing to the scene.Kyodo News service reported that a ninth person was injured and that the driver was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder. Police said they were busy and did not immediately confirm the Kyodo report.The crash occurred early Tuesday on Takeshita Dori, a road well known to tourists and pop culture and fashion fans that runs right by Meiji Shrine in Harajuku, Shibuya ward. Every New Year’s Eve, the train line that includes Harajuku station runs all night for people welcoming the new year with a shrine visit.
- 10 dead, 15 injured after van slams pedestrians in Toronto
- Canada police say 9 dead, 16 injured after van struck pedestrians
- Nine dead and 16 injured after van hits pedestrians in Toronto
- Nine dead after van hits pedestrians in Toronto
- Toronto police say 10 dead, 15 injured after van struck pedestrians in Toronto; driver in custody
- 10 dead, 15 injured after van struck pedestrians in Toronto
- Van strikes pedestrians in Toronto, multiple injuries reported
- Van hits pedestrians in Toronto, driver in custody: police
- Police: Nine dead, 16 injured when van slams into pedestrians in Toronto
- Police: 10 dead, 15 injured when van slams into pedestrians in Toronto
Van slams into pedestrians on Tokyo road, injuring 8 people have 285 words, post on www.cbsnews.com at December 30, 2018. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.