Emmanuel Macron bemoaned Donald Trump’s decision to withdraw US troops from Syria. The French president said: “An ally should be dependable.” During a press conference in Chad he said: “I very deeply regret the decision made on Syria.” “To be allies is to fight shoulder to shoulder. It’s the most important thing for a head of state and head of the military.” As well as this, President Macron stressed the importance of the work of the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces, which has captured large parts of northern and eastern Syria from Islamic State. “I call on everyone … not to forget what we owe them,” he said. President Trump has faced criticism from numerous angles over the move, with high profile resignations in the US government over the situation. However, he has been steadfast in defending the choice, writing on Twitter that anyone else who did the same would be “the most popular hero in America”. On Saturday a US State Department official confirmed Brett McGurk, special envoy for the global coalition to defeat ISIS, handed in his resignation. The 45-year-old joined Defence Secretary Jim Mattis in an exodus of experienced national security officials over the withdrawal. Earlier this week,… Read full this story
- Ahead of Trump decision, China will stick to Paris climate deal
- A Chance for Putin to Woo the World, Thanks to Soccer and Trump
- World View: Turkey Fails to Prevent Russia and Iran Mass Slaughter in Idlib, Syria
- Carlos Queiroz slams Nike for ‘ridiculous and unnecessary’ World Cup boots issue
- Watergate's Woodward says Times Trump op-ed not up to his standards
- Jackie Bradley Jr.’s Unlikely Grand Slam Buries the Astros
- BREAKING NEWS: Beto O'Rourke QUITS 2020 race as campaign runs out of cash - after launching run on the front of Vanity Fair saying: 'Man, I'm just born to be in it.'
- The Latest: England and Croatia on field preparing for semis
- Syrian government ramps up attacks against rebels’ last stronghold
- China takes up multilateral mantle as US shrugs it off at UN
Trump's decision to pull troops from Syria slammed by Macron have 330 words, post on www.standard.co.uk at December 23, 2018. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.