The three years in prison that Donald Trump 's former fixer Michael Cohen received today wasn't the only bad press the increasingly besieged former Celebrity Apprentice host was handed.
The feds also revealed Wednesday that the owners of the National Enquirer have provided "substantial and important assistance" to them in their investigations.
With the effective burial of the American Media Inc publication's so-called "catch and kill" strategy to bury stores that could have adversely affected Trump, the company and CEO David Pecker were granted freedom criminal prosecution by the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York for their role in paying Playboy model Karen McDougal off with $150,000 before the 2016 election.
"AMI further admitted that its principal purpose in making the payment was to suppress the woman's story so as to prevent it from influencing the election," the U.S. Attorney's office added announcing the non-prosecution agreement ( read it here ) and further circling the wagons around Trump.
Clearly, coming off the potential political fatality of the explicit Access Hollywood tape in the final weeks before Trump's race against Hilary Clinton two years ago, the GOP candidate sought to squash any more tales of sexual impropriety. That's where long time pal Pecker came in handy, in more ways than one
Yet, some ways today's announcement is not much of a shock.
AMI and Pecker were given immunity in the late August by the feds in their probe of the payouts and cover-up. That also included hush-money to porn star Stormy Daniels , who had an affair with the real estate developer several years ago and has been legally wrangling with him the past few months.
- NBA players react to election of Donald Trump as president
- Donald Trump Told an Incredible Lie About His Relationship With Muammar Qaddafi
- 6 Times Donald Trump (Probably) Fabricated Interactions With Other People
- Millions of ordinary Americans support Donald Trump. Here's why
- Who is running for president in 2020? Donald Trump, and these 15 Democrats
- Donald Trump speaks to Taiwan's leader Tsai Ing-wen in 'historic' first contact since 1979
- Who’s to Blame for the Trumpcare Debacle, Donald Trump or Paul Ryan?
- Donald Trump claims Soleimani wanted to blow up MULTIPLE American embassies and claims 'pathetic' Democrats would have leaked plans for strike that killed him if he had informed Congress
- Is Donald Trump Jr.’s Meeting the First Hard Evidence of Collusion With Russia?
- Google vs. Trump: Leaked Video Reveals Executives' Negative Reactions to Trump's 2016 Election Victory
- Ike Kaveladze, Who Attended Donald Trump Jr. Meeting, Once Accused U.S. Media of Russian 'Witch Hunt'
- John Bolton to replace H.R. McMaster as Donald Trump's national security adviser
- LeBron James Blasts Donald Trump for 'Using Sport to Divide' the Country
- Iran blasts Donald Trump's "mistake," European allies try to salvage nuke deal
- Donald Trump's deeply twisted idea of American exceptionalism
- The 2016 Election Polls Were Closer to Correct Than Donald Trump Thinks
- Donald Trump donor charged with obstructing inauguration inquiry
- Donald Trump Doubled Republican Pessimism Since Entering White House
- Donald Trump's 'suspicions' about the plane crash are just one of the remaining flashpoints between the US and Iran
- Donald Trump accuses Democrats of pursuing his impeachment 'at this moment in our history, when I am so busy' - a day after Elizabeth Warren asked whether he ordered Qassem Soleimani's death as a distraction
‘National Enquirer’ Owner Admits “Influencing” 2016 Election With Payoffs For Donald Trump have 558 words, post on deadline.com at December 12, 2018. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.