This morning, the good folks over at IGN revealed the very first poster for Jeff Fowler’s Sonice The Hedgehog movie, and … uh … well, Sonic’s looking a bit different than he did the last time we saw him – a little furrier, a little more disconcertingly human, a little more horrifying.
The first thing you’ve probably noticed is the fur: the formerly sleek Sonic has been dragged into the real world, and that meant giving his blue body a real world update. Says the film’s executive producer, Tim Miller:
“That was always Stage 1 of adapting it to what the real world is and what a real animal would be like. It would be weird and it would feel like he was running around nude if he was some sort of otter-like thing. It was always, for us, fur, and we never considered anything different. It’s part of what integrates him into the real world and makes him a real creature.”
OK, well, fair enough, we suppose, but what about those muscular legs? What about the hands? Dear merciful god, what are Sonic’s eyes going to look like? Traditionally, they’re depicted as two pupils set into one, wide-open window, a thing that would be impossible in our world. So what will they look like now?
Miller says those have been updated, as well:
“I don’t think SEGA was entirely happy with the eye decision, but these sorts of things you go, ‘It’s going to look weird if we don’t do this.’ But everything is a discussion, and that’s kind of the goal, which is to only change what’s necessary and stay true to the rest of it. He’s not going to feel like a Pixar character would because I don’t think that’s the right aesthetic to make it feel like part of our world.”
Cool. So now we’re all living in fear of what that’s gonna look like.
Sonic The Hedgehog won’t hit theaters until November of next year, so perhaps this design will be tweaked a bit before then. Or maybe when viewed in context it’s not so alarming? Maybe the grotesquerie is part of the point, somehow? Maybe we’re overreacting and this is totally not as weird as we’re making it out to be (I’m sure a few of you will feel that way, but I am here to tell you that you’re wrong). Guess we’ll just have to wait and see.
Stay tuned for more on Sonic The Hedgehog as further updates become available, and stay safe out there.
- Deadly asthma attacks left me drowning in air and felt like a heart attack – but £10 HOUSEPLANTS have ‘saved me’
- Want to know what a hard border looks like? The 2001 foot-and-mouth crisis holds the key
- Sexton looks likely to start against Italy as Ireland search for form
- Dick Clerkin: 'It looks like I’m destined to take my quote on attending All-Ireland finals to my grave'
- Richard Hammond not looking forward to milestone birthday
- Dog mess poster threatens to roast pets whose owners don’t clean up after them
- Honor View 20 review: looks a treat, but the inside fall short
- 'Any point away at a place like the Ricoh Arena is a good point'
- Games, like maps, often forget to include New Zealand too
- Kylie Jenner looks unrecognisable compared to her usually heavily made-up look.