Email Updated December 21, 2018 13:53:47 Photo: Jim Mattis has been Defence Secretary for nearly two years. (AP: Jacquelyn Martin) Related Story: US military focus shifts to threat from Russia and China, away from terrorism Related Story: ‘Mad Dog’ Mattis reassures South Korea of continued US support Related Story: Trump’s Pentagon pick says US must be ready to confront Russia Map: United States US Defence Secretary Jim Mattis has abruptly quit after falling out with Donald Trump over his foreign policies, one day after the President rebuffed top advisers and decided to pull all US troops out of Syria. Key points:Mr Mattis says he wants Mr Trump to be able to appoint someone with more similar viewsThe two clashed during a meeting on ThursdayPresident says Mr Mattis will be retiring “with distinction” General Mattis announced plans to resign after a face-to-face meeting with Mr Trump in which they aired their differences, a senior White House official said.In his resignation letter General Mattis said he was stepping down so the President could appoint a defence secretary with views more aligned with his. External Link: Trump tweet: …equipment. General Mattis was a great help to me in getting allies and other countries… Read full this story
- Defense Secretary Jim Mattis is USMMA’s commencement speaker
- Donald Trump: June talks with North Korea could be back on after 'productive talks'
- Why did Donald Trump cancel the North Korea summit with Kim Jong-un and when was the Singapore meeting agreed?
- Summit with Kim Jong-un could still go ahead on June 12: Donald Trump
- Jim Mattis vows to work with allies of U.S. to keep Tehran from acquiring nukes after Trump exits Iran deal
- Donald Trump tells Pentagon to look at options for reducing troops in South Korea
- US president Donald Trump warns North Korea’s Kim Jong Un against any ‘foolish and reckless’ action
- Donald Trump announces three US prisoners being freed by North Korea
- Donald Trump had 'no idea' his personal attorney was selling White House insight, Rudy Giuliani claims
- EU president tears into Donald Trump, warning US president is bad friend who acts with 'capricious assertiveness'
Donald Trump's Defence Secretary Jim Mattis becomes latest departure from his inner circle have 346 words, post on www.abc.net.au at December 21, 2018. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.