By Erich Schwartzel The Wall Street Journal Sun., Dec. 30, 2018 LOS ANGELES—Moviegoers had no trouble sorting Hollywood offerings into the naughty or nice pile this holiday season, with hits like “Aquaman” driving business and new releases such as “Vice” falling flat. The DC Comics superhero once again topped the box office, collecting an estimated $51.6 million (U.S.) in the U.S. and Canada this weekend for a domestic total of $188.8 million. “Aquaman,” distributed by AT&T Inc.’s Warner Bros., continues to pull in audiences overseas, where international grosses have added $560 million. “Aquaman” is now the highest-grossing movie in China in the studio’s history, collecting $260 million. Well-received holiday releases “Mary Poppins Returns” and “Bumblebee” followed in second and third place, respectively. “Mary Poppins” saw a boost in business bring its total to $98.9 million—a fine, if not mind-blowing, amount for the Walt Disney Co. sequel. “Bumblebee” held steady and hit $66.8 million in its second week. The latest “Transformers” movie, starring Hailee Steinfeld in a reimagining of the robotic car story, won over critics but hasn’t been the franchise rejuvenation desired by its studio, Viacom Inc.’s Paramount Pictures. Article Continued Below Hollywood had a banner year at the box… Read full this story
- 'Lion King' fends off Tarantino, maintains box office rule
- 'Lion King' fends off Tarantino to top N.America box office
- Lion Kings: The magical Kenyan kingdom where lions reign supreme
- All hail the magical Kenyan kingdom where lions reign supreme
- Take a look inside GoDaddy's new Beeston office
- Anthony Joshua UK fight time tonight
- Aust's Wan has Hollywood's Midas touch
- BT Sport secure WWE rights from rivals Sky Sports
- WWE Clash of Champions 2019: Preview, predictions and full card
- Why we can't get enough of the 80s?
‘Aquaman’ continues box-office reign as ‘Vice’ sputters have 283 words, post on www.thestar.com at December 30, 2018. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.