U.S.-based Human Rights Watch drew on interviews with more than 50 North Korean escapees to chronicle gruesome details of rape and other abuses perpetrated by security officers such as border guards, but also civilian officials. The nuclear-armed North, which is accused of widespread rights abuses by the United Nations and other critics, is a deeply hierarchical and patriarchal society where traditional values of deference to authority still hold sway. But the vast majority of both defectors and market traders in the North are female. Many women have more freedom of movement than men as they are not assigned a state job from which their absence will be noticed. North Korean women caught fleeing the country to China or who are repatriated from its neighbour face severe punishment including torture, imprisonment and sexual abuse, the report said. “Every night some woman would be forced to leave with a guard and be raped,” said one abuse victim in her 30s who was once held at a border detention centre. “Every night a prison guard would open the cell. I stood still quietly, acting like I didn’t notice, hoping it wouldn’t be me,” she said. ‘At the mercy of men’ Traders who smuggle… Read full this story
- No, Sexual Abuse of Minors Isn’t a Plus for Alabama Voters
- Vietnamese, South Korean women fined for fighting at Hanoi airport
- R Kelly ‘kidnapped and sexually abused underage girls he lured from his gigs and forced to call him “Daddy” in 20-year trafficking ring’
- Teacher Allegedly Sexually Abused Indiana Boy, Gets Arrested After Video Circulates
- Church: Guam property should not be sold to pay abuse claims
- Two New Women Accuse Bill Cosby of Sexual Assault
- Federal officials to review convicted doctor’s pension
- Dozens of young women in South Korea were allegedly forced into sexual slavery on an encrypted messaging app
- Why has the media ignored sexual assault allegations against Biden?
- Fort Bend Women’s Center to gain new housing with HomeAid Houston partnership
N Korean women face rampant sexual abuse by officials: HRW have 325 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at November 2, 2018. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.