by Lylla Younes in News on Nov 5, 2018 4:00 am A poll site in Williamsburg on state and local primary day, September 2018. (John Del Signore / Gothamist) As the population of New York City has grown over the past fifty years, so has the number of registered voters. Gothamist graphed registration and turnout data in New York City—going back to 1953 for mayoral elections, and back to the 1970s for gubernatorial and presidential elections—and found that despite the increase in registrations, voter turnout levels have been decreasing for decades, especially in mayoral and gubernatorial races. “This [trend] is somewhat similar to national trends, indicating a pervasive decline of trust in local and national political institutions,” said John Mollenkopf, a professor of political science and sociology at CUNY. He offered several other explanations for our particularly abysmal turnout rate. One is the physical difficulty of voting in New York. Over the years, some states have adopted measures to make it easier to vote, including voting by mail well in advance of election day. But in New York, we don’t do that. You have to show up in person on a Tuesday and sometimes wait on line. Mollenkopf said if… Read full this story
- AK Party closely watching recount process, protecting voters’ will
- 'There will be no election for me': Week-long delay leaves many Nigerian voters in wrong place to cast their ballot
- Voters' Committee in Ukraine reports extremely low number of election observers on April 21
- Election Commission to mayors: Follow the law, vote where you live
- First openly-gay DUP candidate elected
- Michael Bloomberg WON'T run for president in 2020
- New findings show organized scheme through polling clerks in Istanbul elections
- How Will Women Fare in Elections?
- Kazakhstan: Election candidate dropped for poor Kazakh skills
- Only 1% of diaspora Ukrainians voted. Should the system be changed?
As NYC Voter Registration Has Grown, Turnout Has Decreased have 295 words, post on gothamist.com at November 5, 2018. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.