Incoming New York Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez gave a one-star review to Amazon’s plans to put its second headquarters in Queens, saying her constituents have responded with “outrage.” The 29-year-old Democratic socialist, who will represent part of Queens, said Amazon’s plans to open HQ2 in the Long Island City neighborhood could overburden the community and push out its working class while reaping gigantic government tax breaks.”Amazon is a billion-dollar company. The idea that it will receive hundreds of millions of dollars in tax breaks at a time when our subway is crumbling and our communities need MORE investment, not less, is extremely concerning to residents here,” she wrote Tuesday night in one of several tweets about the Amazon arrangement.She added in another tweet, “Displacement is not community development. Investing in luxury condos is not the same thing as investing in people and families. Shuffling working class people out of a community does not improve their quality of life.”Ocasio-Cortez also asked whether Amazon will offer high wages and collective bargaining, and if it plans to hire people who are already in the community. Amazon has said the new jobs will have an average wage over $150,000, and the company has so far… Read full this story
- Long Island City residents want safer streets
- Long Island City developer to build 7-story commercial complex at 30-30 Northern Blvd.
- Waste Management’s Long Island City facility to expand, move garbage by rail
- Long Island City restaurateurs hit roadblocks in bids for backyard seating
- SEE IT: Vicious melee erupts between well-known pastor and hotel workers over hiring practices at Long Island City hotel
- Long Island City strip club going to court to get a liquor license
- Long Island City climbing gym reopens months after being shut down — but owner still faces rocky road
- Long Island City strip club loses latest bid for a liquor license but is continuing its fight
- Long Island City waterfront reaches neighborhood nirvana
- Long Island City design program NYDesigns gives up-and-coming entrepreneurs space to flourish
Amazon HQ2: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez says Queens residents are outraged over Long Island City plan have 329 words, post on www.cbsnews.com at November 13, 2018. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.