BORIS Johnson is one of the country’s most recognisable politicians and played a key role in the EU referendum campaign.
He resigned as Foreign Secretary in a devastating blow for Theresa May earlier this summer. Here’s how Boris rose to the top of British politics.
Who is Boris Johnson married to?
Boris married barrister Marina Wheeler in 1993 and the couple went on to have four children together.
The family currently live in Islington in north London.
In September 2018 The Sun exclusively revealed how their marriage was on the brink of collapse after Marina accused her husband of cheating on her.
The couple are now living apart and no longer spend time together socially as a pair.
Boris’ daughter Lara, 25, is understood to said Marina will “never take him back”.
He met Marina, the daughter of journalist and broadcaster Sir Charles Wheeler, while the pair were at the European School of Brussels.
Boris has been married before.
In 1987 he wed Allegra Mostyn-Owen, the daughter of the art historian William Mostyn-Owen and the Italian writer Gaia Servadio. The marriage was dissolved in 1993.
What is Boris Johnson’s constituency?
Boris returned to Parliament in 2015 after serving as the Mayor of London for eight years.
Previously he was the MP for Henley between 2001 and 2007.
He ran as the Conservative candidate in Uxbridge and South Ruislip in the 2015 General Election.
He was a leading force in the Leave campaign in the EU referendum in 2016.
After Prime Minister David Cameron resigned, Boris was expected to run for leader but after being betrayed by Michael Gove he dropped out of the race.
In the 2017 General Election, Mr Johnson retained his seat in Uxbridge and South Ruislip but his majority was slashed in half.
Boris Johnson booted out by wife Marina amid MORE cheating accusations
Millions of self-employed workers will be hit with Hammond’s £150 tax whammy
UK slams Russia for ‘playing dice with Brit lives’ in Novichok stand-off
May faces double Brexit assault as Tories prepare challenge & EU slams plan
‘Operation Yellowhammer’ plan to cope with No Deal Brexit spied outside No10
Corbyn’s closest ally McDonnell says he would never fire nuclear weapons
Why did Boris Johnson resign as Foreign Secretary?
He walked out just hours after she lost Brexit Secretary David Davis as she plans to force through a soft Brexit.
The pair, both passionate Brexit supporters, walked out in the wake of the PM’s Chequers agreement.
Since leaving Cabinet, the former journalist has regularly spoken out against the PM’s Brexit plans and is widely speculated to be considering challenging her for the Tory leadership.
What did he say about burkas?
He wrote: “If you say that it is weird and bullying to expect women to cover their faces, then I totally agree.
“I would go further and say that it is absolutely ridiculous that people should choose to go around looking like letter boxes.”
And he added that “a female student turned up at school or at a university lecture looking like a bank robber” he would ask her to remove it to speak to her.
He was backed by a leading imam, who said in a letter to The Times that face veils pose security risks and subjugate women, and Mr Johnson had not gone far enough.
Comedian and free speech champion Rowan Atkinson also backed Mr Johnson, saying in a letter to The Times: “All jokes about religion cause offence, so it’s pointless apologising for them.”
A poll by Sky News found most Brits did not think what Mr Johnson said was racist, and Met chief Cressida Dick said the comment did not constitute a hate crime.
But the Tory party said he would be investigated for allegedly breaching the party’s code of conduct. He could be sent for diversity training or kicked out or suspended.
Who are Boris Johnson’s siblings?
Boris, 54, has two younger brothers and a younger sister.
Sister Rachel Johnson is a journalist and author, brother Leo is a partner specialising in sustainability at accountancy firm PricewaterhouseCoopers, and Jo Johnson is Minister of State for Universities and Science and Conservative MP for Orpington.
They are the children of former MEP and environmental campaigner Stanley Johnson – who starred in Celebrity Big Brother last year – and the painter Charlotte Johnson Wahl.
- Report: Boris Johnson Missed Five COBRA Meetings as Chinese Coronavirus Crisis Escalated
- How old is Bobby Madley, when did he become a Premier League referee, why did he quit and who is his brother Andrew?
- Boris Johnson’s Brexit was never a dream. It was pure fantasy
- Royals wish Boris Johnson a 'speedy recovery': The Queen, Prince William and Kate Middleton send support to PM, his family and pregnant fiancée Carrie Symonds as he battles coronavirus in intensive care
- Cabinet split as experts warn: don't ease Covid lockdown too soon
- Man who was Justice Secretary 6 weeks ago is now having to ask government to obey the law
- Michael Gove defends Boris Johnson's leadership after the revelation PM 'skipped five Cobra meetings' at start of coronavirus outbreak - while 'nothing was done to prepare for outbreak for WEEKS'
- Boris Johnson snuffs out Cabinet calls for early easing of lockdown: PM intervenes from Chequers rehab to insist a second peak of coronavirus outbreak not economic misery is the biggest danger
- Boris Johnson and coronavirus: the inside story of his illness
- Boris Johnson is 'reluctant to end lockdown over fears of a second wave of coronavirus infections' - despite lowest daily death toll for two weeks - but Sunak and Gove want to 'run hot' and ease restrictions sooner
- Lockdown until 2021 and all talk of 'exit strategy' is banned: 'Tentative' Boris Johnson sides with Cabinet 'doves' who want restrictions until coronavirus is crushed as experts warn ANY lifting of measures 'will see explosion in cases'
- Philip Pullman says UK government should face 'conspiracy to murder' charges if it is found that MPs rejected EU deal for PPE 'for Brexit reasons'
- Boris Johnson reluctant to end lockdown over fears of second wave of coronavirus
- Boris Johnson says he is 'raring to go' and will start work on Monday to 'tighten his grip' on coronavirus crisis and 'offer more clarity'
- How did Britain get its response to coronavirus so wrong?
- What the EU procurement furore tells us about Johnson's real priorities
- Boris Johnson is 'preparing to return to work on Monday' to take control of the coronavirus crisis - as Donald Trump tells reporters he’s spoken to the PM who sounds 'incredible'
- 'Biggest Policy Issue Facing Country': UK Cabinet Split on COVID-19 Lockdown Exit Strategy - Report
- Boris Johnson reveals he is 'feeling better and on the road to recovery' in call with Donald Trump today and will have his audience with the Queen this week (but No10 insists he has NOT returned to work)
- National salute: Britain claps for the carers for the fourth week as old and young take to the streets during lockdown - and even recuperating Boris Johnson joins thanks to the frontline staff battling coronavirus
How old is Boris Johnson, has he split from his wife, what did he say about burkas and why did he resign as Foreign Secretary? have 1231 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at September 6, 2018. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.