BORIS JOHNSON is to spearhead a pro-Brexit push at Tory party conference in a move that threatens to humiliate party bigwigs.
And he is in talks to take part in at least one more of the meetings – which take place on the fringes of the main conference hall.
The move will pile pressure on the PM at a crunch moment in Brexit talks.
Tory conference kicks off on September 30, 10 days after Theresa May flies to Salzburg, Austria for showdown talks with EU leaders the week before.
Both the UK and the EU insist they want to agree a framework for a future trading relationship by the end of October.
Mr Johnson has become the figurehead for legions of grassroots activists after panning Theresa May’s ‘Chequers’ soft Brexit plan – which proposes remaining tied to EU rules for goods.
MPs then rallied to his defence last week when Tory chiefs launched a formal investigation into his burka jibes. They claimed it was an attempt by party chair Brandon Lewis to “kneecap” a rival.
One ally of Mr Johnson told The Sun: “Boris has always been the biggest draw at party conference.
“He will make the fringe meeting look like the conference hall and the conference hall will look like a fringe meeting.”
The revelation comes as Tory campaign group – Conservative Voice – warns that a THIRD of its followers would vote for UKIP if there was a General Election tomorrow.
Conservative Voice Don Porter told The Sun: “Only 62 per said they would vote Conservative, with around 30 per cent saying UKIP. And remember this is without UKIP having any real platform or an influential leader.
“The Chequers plan is not the Brexit the majority voted for and it’s time for action.”
Tory MPs earlier this week hit out at the Conservative Party for “clamping down” on fringe meetings amid fears of a public rebuke for the PM.
Inside top hotel Corbyn stayed with speaker who said Jews down Christian blood
UNFIT TO LEAD?
Corbyn could be gone within a month, Labour MP suggests amid wreath row
CULT OF JEZ
Labour branded a ‘cult’ as Corbynistas falsely claim he ‘won Nobel Peace Prize’
Corbyn faces Commons probes after refusing to apologise for honouring terrorists
MPs demand Peer who attended conference with Corbyn is expelled from Tory party
‘HE CONDONED MASSACRE’
Olympian at 1972 games slams Corbyn and says he’s ‘unfit to be PM’
One senior Tory said: “There’s going to be a lot of arguing at conference. A lot of members are going and they’re not happy.
“I don’t know what they were thinking in seeking to punish Boris last week. It was one of the stupidest things to do.
“They have no political judgement whatsoever.”The arch Eurosceptic Leave.EU group urged people to join the Tories to back a “true Conservative candidate” to replace Theresa May.
Posting pictures of Boris Johnson and Jacob Rees-Mogg, the group backed by former UKIP donor Arron Banks urged people to become a member so they could vote to “put spine back into the Tory party” and “elect a true Brexiteer”.
- Labour rebels say they are 'ready to' back Boris Johnson's Brexit deal on Saturday - but will enough of them defy Jeremy Corbyn?
- Brexit deal today... or MORE delay until 2020: Boris Johnson fights to win over the DUP and Tory 'Spartans' to seal a deal - but Arlene Foster warns she doesn't 'trust' the PM and ex-minister brands package ‘unacceptable’
- Jeremy Corbyn 'orders MPs to back Remainer plans to force a SECOND REFERENDUM to approve Boris Johnson's Brexit deal' after last-gasp breakthrough in Brussels
- Brexiteers May Tolerate Boris Johnson’s Deal
- Can Boris Johnson win a Commons' vote on his Brexit deal and what happens in the next few weeks if MPs FINALLY approve the UK's departure?
- Boris Johnson's Brexit deal in full: PM's divorce agreement gets rid of the original 'anti-democratic' backstop and gives Northern Ireland a vote on leaving new border arrangements
- Boris Johnson gets his deal and a slap on the back in Brussels
- Steve Baker, the ex-Brexit minister hell-bent on torpedoing May's Chequers plan
- Hurdles Boris Johnson must jump to pass the Brexit deal
- 'You can have the best headlines... but they're of no use if they don't deliver for people': Theresa May takes a veiled swipe at Boris Johnson in speech blasting his new immigration system
- 'Boris asked me to do it': Donald Trump says he invited parents of Harry Dunn to meet their son's killer Anne Sacoolas at the White House 'only because Boris Johnson asked him to'
- Brexit showdown: Who were Tory rebels who defied Boris Johnson?
- Pro-remain MPs plan 'super Saturday' vote on second referendum
- EU and U.K. fear Brexit deal is dying as Johnson’s Northern Irish allies hold out
- Brexit times IN FULL: What time is EU summit today? When will Boris arrive in Brussels?
- Brexiteers could still vote against Boris’ Brexit deal ‘we won’t let the public down’
- Brexit betrayal? Article 50 was 'stacked against UK' and drafted by Major's right-hand man
- Angry caller attacks MPs who 'don't want to leave' EU for Brexit 'pretence'
- Latest: DUP says it cannot support current Brexit deal
- Britain on verge of historic blunder, warns Johnson at DUP conference
Boris Johnson to push pro-Brexit agenda from Tory conference sidelines after blasting PM’s ‘Chequers plan’ have 910 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at August 15, 2018. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.