In Alice Bolin’s book Dead Girls, she describes going to a karaoke bar by herself, soon after moving to Los Angeles. When it’s her turn to sing, she announces to everyone in the bar that she is “new in town and had no friends.” It reads like something that would happen right before the meet-cute in a romantic comedy or right before the murder in one of the dead girl stories Bolin analyses. In fact, she doesn’t fall in love or get attacked that night, but every moment in a woman’s life is a moment that could be extrapolated into her murder, but it’s also a moment she might fall in love—or both! After all, as every Dateline viewer knows, it’s always the husband that did it. At that karaoke bar, she’s welcomed into a group friendly “sweet, hip townies.” Even while she’s doing something supremely self-willed and defining, moving from a small town in Idaho to Los Angeles, Bolin describes herself reacting to all the random and extreme stimulations of being 25, nearly jobless and new in town by becoming a hypochondriac, extrapolating some terrible illness from every fact about her body, and watching endless murder shows on television…. Read full this story
- Why True Crime TV Has Become So Popular During the Coronavirus Pandemic
- The Horrifying True Story of the Hart Family Murder-Suicide: Abuse, Lies and Unspeakable Tragedy
- Suspect Arrested After 5-Year-Old Ala. Girl Killed, Dad Injured in Alleged Hit-and-Run
- Sister of Calif. House of Horrors Mom Alleges They Were Sexually Abused as Girls
- Mich. Toddler Is Killed, and Babysitter Is Arrested on What Would Have Been Girl's 2nd Birthday
- The best comedy films on Amazon Prime
- Denver’s homicide rate remains elevated as violent crimes continue to increase
- Teresa Giudice's father Giacinto Gorga passes away at age 76 after a long illness: 'Thank you for showing us all what true love is'
- Larry the Cable Guy Brings Comedy to 'Hannity'
- Tim Brooke-Taylor, 'The Goodies' and 'Willy Wonka' Actor, Dead at 79 Due to Coronavirus
True Crime, Alice Bolin's Dead Girls, and the Romantic Comedy have 334 words, post on jezebel.com at July 31, 2018. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.