Crazy Rich Asians is looking at a crazy solid opening weekend at the box office. Early tracking numbers estimate that the Jon M. Chu romantic-comedy based on the Kevin Kwan novel of the same name will open to a respectable $18 million. Not crazy rich, but not crazy terrible either. Variety reports that tracking numbers for Crazy Rich Asians show definite interest in the film at 31%, leading to early estimates of a $20 million opening for the film’s five-day launch starting Wednesday, according to Variety. Warner Bros. has released its own tracking, which shows the debut at $18 million. For a romantic-comedy, a genre that has seen a decline at the box office in recent years, this is not a bad box office opening. The highest opening for a recent rom-com was 2015’s Trainwreck, which debuted to $30 million. But with the dearth of rom-coms at the box office, perhaps Crazy Rich Asians will see a boost for audiences itching for a little gaudy escapism. Netflix has already seen massive word-of-mouth success with its slate of cheesy, nostalgic rom-coms like Set It Up, and the sleeper hit success of The Big Sick last year proved that audiences want a little romance in their lives. Not to mention… Read full this story
- Inside the life of Crazy Rich Asians – from £5k champagne bills, £1m supercars and an actress who had glitzy £24m wedding
- "Crazy Rich Asians" Topped The Box Office On Opening Weekend And Earned Over $25 Million
- ‘Crazy Rich Asians’ Director Jon M. Chu Is Out to Change Hollywood: ‘Our Time Is Now’
- In the chain-averse Bay Area, why are we so crazy for Asian restaurant chains?
- Tiger Global just invested $18 million in Olo, a low-flying ordering platform for more than 50,000 fast-casual restaurants
- Courting China: Li Na leaps up sport's rich list
- Asian American film festivals launch careers, bridge gulfs and foster careers
- This Week in White Supremacy tracks battle for racial justice
- Newsletter: Essential Arts: ‘Between Riverside and Crazy,’ the Pulitzer-winning play you must see in L.A.
- Top 20 Calcium Rich Foods Every Indian Should Know
'Crazy Rich Asians' Tracking for $18 Million-Plus Opening have 339 words, post on www.slashfilm.com at July 29, 2018. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.