Award-winning pop star Charli XCX has spoken out about the representations of women’s bodies following a visit to the Tate, Liverpool.
Tate Liverpool and The Rapid Response Unit project, invited Charli to break from her current global tour with Taylor Swift and Camila Cabello to respond to the themes of the exhibition “Life in Motion: Egon Schiele/Francesca Woodman”.
Charli’s trip to the Tate exhibition inspired her to reach out to women she knows and ask them to take part in a wider digital conversation about their bodies and body image.
Charli XCX said: “I like to antagonise people who have a certain perception of what pop music or a female pop artist should be … when I looked at this exhibition I really left it thinking about the female form … so I’m more interested in continuing that conversation with other women”
Wolf Alice, Rina Sawayama and Nadya Tolokonnikova responded to Charli and their replies will be shared openly, along with others, across social media to provoke and inspire young women to think about their own representations of their bodies in a selfie fixated culture.
Jemima Pyne, head of audiences at Tate Liverpool, said: “We were delighted to work with Rapid Response Unit to welcome Charli XCX to the gallery and give her the opportunity to see the exhibition, Life in Motion.
“It’s great to see it stimulated so many ideas and questions for her and we hope it continues to do so for her fans that come to see the show.
“Her visit has also given us the chance to collaborate with RRU and offer groups of young people the chance to use her response as a starting point for their own exploration of the work of Egon Schiele and Francesca Woodman.”
Life in Motion: Egon Schiele/Francesca Woodman is running at Tate Liverpool until September 23 this year.
- Camila Cabello reveals her ‘intense gratitude’ towards Taylor Swift
- Katy Perry FINALLY ends six-year feud with Taylor Swift
- Taylor Swift gets stuck in a cage live on stage during concert
- Taylor Swift ‘third wheel’ as fans get engaged during meet-and-greet
- Has Taylor Swift bagged a role in the film adaptation of Cats?
- Taylor Swift hailed ‘one of the greats’ as she performs in rain
- Taylor Swift takes a tumble on stage but shakes it off like a pro
- Taylor Swift rocks double denim as she steps out in hotpants and a crop top
- Taylor Swift’s ‘stalker’ armed with ‘knife, rope, bullets and drugs’ when he was arrested, US report claims