US President Donald Trump (R) and North Korea’s leader Kim Jong Un in Singapore. (Photo: AFP/Saul Loeb) Despite the lack of detail, or binding terms in the joint statement agreed with Kim – which has alarmed a majority of observers of the nuclear standoff – Trump struck a resolutely bullish tone. “There is no longer a Nuclear Threat from North Korea,” he tweeted in one of a series of early morning pronouncements. Trump added that everybody “can now feel much safer than the day I took office” and people could “sleep well tonight!” Critics said the unprecedented encounter between Kim and Trump was more style than substance, producing a document short on specifics about the key issue of Pyongyang’s atomic weapons. But the US president trumpeted the outcome as a “deal” with North Korea and vowed there would be “no more rocket launches, nuclear testing or research!” Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, speaking to reporters in Seoul, said the United States hoped for “major disarmament” of North Korea by the end of 2020. In the summit statement, Kim pledged to “work toward the complete denuclearisation of the Korean Peninsula” – a stock phrase favoured by Pyongyang that stopped short of… Read full this story
- North Korea snaps back at Joe Biden over criticism of launches
- North Korea fires two 'projectiles' into sea as Japan warns ships about fallen debris
- North Korea fires two missiles into sea in new threat to regional 'peace and safety'
- North Korea fires two short-range ballistic missiles into Sea of Japan, US official confirms
- North Korea snaps back at Biden over criticism of missile launches
- EXPLAINER: N. Korean missile tests follow same old playbook
World can 'sleep well' after North Korea summit, Trump says have 272 words, post on www.vir.com.vn at June 13, 2018. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.