A great grandma has told how she believes she has reached 100 years old despite suffering two heart attacks before she was 50.
Louie Duckham, who lives in Ashfields Care Home, in Heanor, celebrated her centenary birthday on June 7 and described it as the best day of her life.
Despite expressing her excitement in reaching her milestone, the great grandmother thought it would be a day she would never see after she had two heart attacks before she turned 50.
She believes that a healthy lifestyle and her family have kept her going over the years – and she says not drinking much alcohol has also played its part.
Speaking to Derbyshire Live, she said: “I have had a wonderful life, I have some great memories and I was so pleased to celebrate my 100th birthday here at the home, it was the best day of my life.
“All the staff are great here, they are really happy and caring and they are brilliant to be around.
All the latest news from Heanor
“When I had my heart attacks, I never thought I would live to see my 100th birthday, I never thought I would live to be 70, 80 or 90, so to have reached this milestone is fantastic and I am very pleased.
“My secret to living such a long life certainly has nothing to do with drinking alcohol.
“I am not tee-total but, I do not drink a lot and I think this has had an impact on me living to be 100.
“Things have changed a lot throughout my life, I don’t like to see young girls at bars and pubs, I never used to do that sort of thing, I used to go to the cinema, there just isn’t enough for young people to do these days.
“A long life is all down to working hard, being healthy and having a loving family around you.”
Louie was born on June 7, 1918 and she grew up in Nottingham. She has some vivid memories of clutching her gas mask and heading for the shelters during the air raids in the Second World War.
The centenarian worked at Nottingham Telephone Exchange, Whitwell Post Office and Worksop Co-op, but stopped working when she married her husband Albert, in 1958.
The centenarian suffered two heart attacks at the age of 46, but battled through them to reach her 100th birthday.
Louie has one child, two grandchildren Anita, 44, and Debi 41 and two great grandchildren with Lucy-May, 14 and Charlotte 11.
Sue Mukherjee, 72, Louie’s daughter, said: “I am so proud of my mother for reaching this age.
“She has had a really exciting life, she has always worked hard and been very independent.
“She really enjoyed her birthday celebrations at the home, the fact that she described it as the best day of her life really says something, as she has had a lot of birthdays.
“I cannot tell you what her secret is, but being healthy and happy is certainly going to be part of it.”
To download the IOS app click here.
To download the Android app click here.
- Builder suffers heart attack, struggles to get ICU bed for 7 hrs
- Queen guitarist Brian May has ‘theory’ that coronavirus caused his heart attack despite testing negative
- Manchester Arena bombing victim, 28, who died of heart attack after suffering blood loss from leg wound 'could have survived' if he'd not waited nearly an hour for medical treatment, inquiry is told
- Ghatkopar builder suffers heart attack, struggles to get ICU bed for 7 hrs
- Studies show wildfire smoke linked to spike in asthma, strokes and heart attacks
- Driver, 49, slapped with parking fine while being treated for suspected heart attack by paramedics
- Democrats see Green New Deal yielding gains despite GOP attacks
- Conchata Ferrell dead: Two and a Half Men star dies at 77 six months after suffering a heart attack and kidney infection
- 'Naked rancher' who delights Instagram fans with VERY racy snaps of him herding cattle and exploring the great outdoors says he feels 'freer' without any clothes on
- World Heart Day 2020: Best Foods To Prevent The Risk Of Heart Diseases In Diabetics
- The US is close to having 'exponential spread' in some areas, and the hardest part may still be ahead, former FDA official says
- The Great American Bubble Machine
- Pictured: 'Kind-hearted' devout Catholic, 60, who was beheaded by Tunisian terrorist at the Nice church where she worshipped - as devastated husband says his life is now an 'absolute nightmare'
- 100 Years Later, This Postcard Finally Reached Its Destination
- Keeping Up With The Kardashians has no spinoffs planned says producer Ryan Seacrest: 'We have not crossed that bridge yet'
- ‘A Little Too Slow’: 1920-Stamped US Postcard Arrives at Address Nearly 100 Years Later - Photo
- Super-fast surgery could soon be offered to one million Britons with a 'racing heart' condition that puts them at high risk of a stroke
- Killer Whales 'Ripped Open' Great White Sharks, Ate Liver, Heart and Testes, Autopsy Reveals
- Why staying fit needs to be more than a walk in the park: DR MICHAEL MOSLEY says strength-building 'resistance' exercise helps weight loss, fights infection and could make a Covid vaccine work better
- TOWIE 10th Anniversary: Drug shame, petrol bombs, acid attacks and brawls... the scandals that plagued the reality star elite over the past decade
How great grandma says she managed to get to 100 despite two heart attacks have 884 words, post on www.derbytelegraph.co.uk at June 17, 2018. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.