A Democratic congressman plans to introduce legislation that would abolish Immigration and Customs Enforcement, the 15-year-old federal agency with a founding mission to deport 100 percent of “removable aliens” and which has been the force behind detaining and separating immigrant families and communities across the country.
“I’m introducing legislation that would abolish ICE and crack down on the agency’s blanket directive to target and round up individuals and families,” wrote Rep. Mark Pocan in a statement, per ABC News.
Pocan, who has served Wisconsin’s second congressional district since 2013 and co-chairs both the LGBT Equality Caucus and the Congressional Progressive Caucus, was one of many Democratic lawmakers who visited ICE detention facilities in Texas last week. His desire to abolish ICE stems from what he saw firsthand, he said.
“During my trip to the southern border, it was clear that ICE, and its actions of hunting down and tearing apart families, has wreaked havoc on far too many people,” he wrote. “ICE is tearing apart families and ripping the moral fabric of our nation.”
More than 2,000 migrant children have been separated from their parents since the Trump administration began implementing its “zero-tolerance” policy last month, which charges migrant adults who cross the U.S.-Mexico border with federal crimes and prosecutes them in the criminal justice system.
“Unfortunately, president Trump and his team of white nationalists, including Stephen Miller, have so misused ICE that the agency can no longer accomplish its goals effectively,” wrote Pocan. “The heartless actions of this abused agency do not represent the values of our nation and the US must develop a more humane immigration system that treats every person with dignity and respect.”
Pocan will introduce this legislation to the House later this week, The Wisconsin State Journal reports.
- Democrats introduce legislation to protect children from online exploitation
- Democrats introduce legislation to ensure internet access for college students
- Warren, Levin introduce legislation for federal contact tracing program
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Says Abolishing ICE 'Isn't So Crazy After All' Following Alleged Washington incident
- Democratic senators introduce bill to ban 'ghost' guns amid pandemic
- Democratic bill would require cash refunds for all canceled airline tickets during pandemic
- House Democrats seek to codify environmental inequality mapping tool
- Phil Bredesen Might Win a Deep-Red Senate Seat for Democrats. But He Doesn’t Want to Talk About It.
- Exclusive: Rick Scott, GOP Senators Propose to Cut or Abolish Wasteful Federal Agencies
- Why Democrats hate the Electoral College and Republicans love it
- MAGA-Loving Congressman Accidentally Pushes to Ban Trump Campaign Spending at Trump Properties
- Coronavirus: Trump to look into legislation proposing sanctions on China
- Democrats introduce coronavirus-focused privacy legislation
- House lawmakers introduce bill for local chambers of commerce to receive PPP funding
- NY Democrats call for mortgage forgiveness in next coronavirus relief bill
- House Democrats unveil legislation to forgive student loans for health care workers
- House to introduce bill to create a National Public Health Corps
- GOP lawmaker introduces bill to expand business liability protections
- Democratic senators urge Facebook to curb coronavirus misinformation in other languages
- House lawmakers introduce bipartisan bill to expand telehealth services
Democratic Congressman to Introduce Legislation That Would Abolish ICE have 496 words, post on theslot.jezebel.com at June 24, 2018. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.