Roger Williams cannot enjoy fireworks on the Fourth of July anymore. The 68-year-old Texan is a longtime NRA member, but these days, he can't hunt. Once, during a congressional committee hearing, the chairman banged a gavel — clap — on the desk, and Williams fell out of his seat. It's been almost a year since Williams and nearly two dozen of his Republican colleagues were shot at as they were wrapping up baseball practice in Alexandria, Virginia, on June 14, 2017. Williams started the congressional baseball caucus and began coaching the team a few years ago. He's a standard conservative Republican with a toothy politician's grin, which he can still flash on command. He thinks about that morning almost every day. They were practicing for the Congressional Baseball Game, one of those cheerful bipartisan events that’s becoming extinct in Washington. It’s an annual game, held for charity, where Democrats play Republicans, staffers come out to cheer on their bosses, and everyone shakes hands at the end, reporters and lobbyists looking on. Waking up predawn to go to baseball practice is a welcome distraction for the Republicans who play — a few hours without the news cycle, or whatever President Trump… Read full this story
- America needs white people to step up
- Humans may have arrived in North America much earlier than believed, new research says
- The secret cyberattack missions of America's stealth subs revealed: Experts admit 'highly prized' offensive capabilities can hack enemy networks from under the sea
- Changes to USMCA steel requirements give Mexican auto sector headache
- Nickelodeon Goes Off-Air for 8 Minutes and 46 Seconds, Plays Breathing Sounds with ‘I Can’t Breathe’ Message
- NASCAR reveals pit procedures for Road America, Gateway
- America’s Got Talent LIVE – Latest updates from AGT
- Prince George: Good Morning America host apologises for ballet class comments
- 'There are two realities.' What is really happening in Nicaragua during the pandemic?
- Beyoncé is ‘broken and disgusted’ by racism in America after George Floyd’s death
The 9 Minutes That Almost Changed America have 327 words, post on www.buzzfeednews.com at May 14, 2018. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.