A federal judge has ordered an Alaska prison to stop feeding Muslim inmates pork when they break their fasts during Ramadan, a civil rights group says. The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) said a restraining order had been granted by a court on Friday after it accused the Anchorage Correctional Complex of “cruel and unusual punishment”. In a lawsuit filed on Tuesday, CAIR claimed two practising Muslim prisoners at the jail were being “starved”, as corrections officers were offering them pork-based meals as they observed the holy month. Read more China ‘forced Muslims to eat pork and drink alcohol’ The suit demanded a “balanced nutritional diet” for the inmates, policy changes and compensatory and punitive damages, the group said. It claimed those observing Ramadan receive bagged meals each evening after sunset that provided between 500 and 1,100 calories a day, arguing the men should be receiving 2,600 to 2,800 calories a day under federal health guidelines. Food packages given to inmates contained sandwiches filled will Bologna ham, which they were prevented from eating by their faith and no alternatives were offered, the lawsuit said. “The constitution and congress forbid prisons from compelling inmates to choose between their faith and food,” said CAIR’s national litigation… Read full this story
- British taxpayers foot £70,000 bill for private jet that flew Shaker Aamer home from Guantanamo - and now his lawyer says he's suffering from PTSD
- CAA Protests: Rumours, rage, and excess triggered outrage in AMU
- 100 op-eds that tell the story of the 2010s
- Generation revolution: how Egypt’s military state betrayed its youth
- Orlando Gunman Discussed ISIS With Police, Called Boston Bombers His ‘Homeboys’
- Rick Ross: Meet the New Boss
- The Betrayal of the Kurds
- After ousting Bashir, Sudan's activists struggle to loosen military's grip
- Two gang-rapists who were shot dead 'as they tried to escape' 'had confessed to raping and burning NINE other women'
Muslim prisoners 'fed ham sandwiches by guards' after breaking Ramadan fast have 303 words, post on www.independent.co.uk at May 25, 2018. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.