First came Kuwait. Then Saudi Arabia and Turkey. Now it’s the Philippines’ turn. It is the latest foreign government to book rooms or host events at the Trump International Hotel in Washington D.C., riling critics who say such bookings are nothing more than attempts to curry favour with President Donald Trump. The Philippine Independence Day celebration set for June 12 comes as the country pushes for a free-trade agreement with the U.S. and amid international criticism of President Rodrigo Duterte for encouraging vigilante killings of drug suspects. “The Trump hotel may have some political undertones because it is associated with the U.S. president,” Jose Manuel Romualdez, the Philippine ambassador to the U.S., wrote in a column in The Philippine Star newspaper earlier this week. “But since several other embassies have also held their national day celebrations at the Trump hotel which were well attended — I decided — why not do it there, too.” Read more Donald Trump’s business ‘in breach of New York law’ Trump Organisation link to Russian bank still under FBI investigation Kuwait hold national day party at Washington DC’s Trump International The Philippine Embassy has sent out 300 invitations for the party to mark the 120th… Read full this story
- Trump hints at withdrawal from U.S.-South Korea free trade deal
- Trump boasts of 'great new trade deals,' but he hasn't finalized any
- Data Is The New Oil, So Big Tech Is Pushing For A Digital Free Trade Deal
- South Korea, U.S. at odds over next steps on free trade deal revisions
- New Zealand optimistic about free trade deal with U.S.
- Big-spending Saudis drive Trump Hotel revenue boost
- Disagreements surface over China-backed trade deal
- Farmers prefer Trump do trade deals than hand them cash
- G-20 leaders withdraw anti-protectionist vow after Trump administration opposes free trade statement
- U.S. cars a tough sell in South Korea even as Trump targets trade deal
Philippines government books Trump hotel as Duterte pushes for free trade deal with US have 314 words, post on www.independent.co.uk at April 28, 2018. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.