Lisa Howard had been waiting for more than two hours in a suite of the Hotel Riviera, enough time to bathe, dress and apply makeup, then take it all off to get ready for bed when she thought he wasn’t coming. But at 11:30 p.m. on that night in Havana — February 2, 1964 — Howard, an American correspondent with ABC News, finally heard a knock at the door. She opened it and saw the man she had been waiting for: Fidel Castro, the 37-year-old leader of the Cuban revolution and one of America’s leading Cold War antagonists. “You may be the prime minister, but I’m a very important journalist. How dare you keep me waiting,” Howard declared with mock anger. She then invited Castro, accompanied by his top aide, René Vallejo, into her room. Over the next few hours, they talked about everything from Marxist theory to the treatment of Cuba’s political prisoners. They reminisced about President John F. Kennedy, who had been assassinated just a few months earlier. Castro told Howard about his trip to Russia the previous spring, and the “personal attention” he had received from the “brilliant” Soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev. Howard admonished Castro for the repressive… Read full this story
- Georgia Senate candidate Warnock was assistant pastor of church that hosted, praised Fidel Castro in 1995
- Book on Fidel Castro and Vietnam debuts
- Assange's Lawyers 'Priority Targets' of US-Backed Espionage of Ecuadorian Embassy, Court Told
- Bilingual book released boosting VN - Cuba relationship
- QAnon Goes to Washington
- Biggest Moments in Military History From the Last 100 Years
- Warnock's alleged past dismissals of critiques on socialism reemerge amid Loeffler attack ad blitz
- Saul Bellow’s Centenary Prompts the Question: Can He Make It With Millennials?
- Which PlayStation 5 Launch Games Make the System Worth Buying?
‘My Dearest Fidel’: A journalist’s secret liaison with Fidel Castro have 290 words, post on www.politico.eu at April 20, 2018. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.