The woman behind Frankenstein knew some monstrous troubles of her own. A trailer for the upcoming movie Mary Shelley, starring Elle Fanning as author Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley, came out Friday, and it’s full of the gothic-romantic elements Shelley fans will expect.
More movie stories
Shelley’s story is well-known among literature lovers. Just a teen when she fell for married poet Percy Bysshe Shelley (played by Douglas Booth), Shelley wrote the famed horror novel as a dare.
The Shelleys were spending the wet summer of 1816 with poet Lord Byron (Tom Sturridge) in Switzerland when Byron proposed each guest try to write a ghost story. Mary Shelley’s grim tale of a corpse brought back to life became the novel Frankenstein. (Frankenstein, of course, is the scientist’s name, but it’s forever associated with the movie monster.)
In the trailer, there are creepy hints at Shelley’s reanimated monster, but much of the action surrounds Mary Shelley’s romantic life and troubles, as well as the struggles of simply being an independent-minded woman in an era that’s not ready for that.
The movie also stars Bel Powley, Ben Hardy, Game of Thrones star Maisie Williams, Stephen Dillane and Joanne Froggatt of Downton Abbey fame.
Mary Shelley is set to premiere in the US on May 25 and in the UK on July 6. No Australia release date has been given.
- Destiny 2: Beyond Light Story Trailer Reveals The Power Of The Darkness
- ‘Blade Runner 2049’s’ smart, somber sci-fi feels a bit too real now
- Frankenstein’s monster
- Bride of Frankenstein Will Stand Alone, Is Inspired by Success of The Invisible Man
- Trailer: Kristen Stewart Makes the Yuletide, Well, You Know
- Den of Thieves Trailer Has Gerard Butler Chasing Down 50 Cent
- LEGO Star Wars Holiday Special Trailer Unites Rey & Baby Yoda on Disney+ for Thanksgiving
- Bride wars! Scarlett Johansson to star in new take on Bride of Frankenstein... despite Angelina Jolie's three-year journey to play iconic role
- 'Radical lesbian activist' COVERS UP new sculpture celebrating 'mother of feminism' Mary Wollstonecraft after critics slammed artist for reducing icon to a 'naked silver Barbie doll'
- Soorarai Pottru Postponed: Suriya Reveals The Real Reason By Sharing Official Statement
- Biggest Thor: Ragnarok Easter Egg Revealed
- Harrison Ford's Real Thoughts on Solo Revealed by Director Ron Howard
- Ryan Reynolds Thinks Free Guy Is the Best Movie He's Ever Made
- Leaked Star Wars 7 Footage Reveals Luke Skywalker's Refuge?
- Black Widow release date, cast, trailer, and everything else you need to know about the new MCU movie
- Classy Julie Andrews was right to say chim-cheerio to a role in the new Mary Poppins as Emily Blunt shines
- 39 Movies We’re Excited to See This Fall
- Victory for pregnant women in France as leaked government document reveals mothers will no longer be made to wear face masks during labour - after campaigners reported feeling 'suffocated'
- George Clooney reveals he was forced to work Felicity Jones' real-life pregnancy into the story of his Netflix astronaut drama The Midnight Sky
- Jayam Ravi reveals trailer of Shriya Saran's Gamanam
Mary Shelley movie trailer reveals real birth of Frankenstein have 532 words, post on www.cnet.com at April 13, 2018. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.