Acclaimed Hollywood director Taika Waititi has criticised his home country of New Zealand as “racist as fuck”. In a wide-ranging interview with Dazed and Confused magazine, the director of Thor Ragnarok, Hunt for the Wilderpeople and Boy said although he loves New Zealand, a strong vein of racism towards Maori and Polynesian people permeates society. “I think New Zealand is the best place on the planet, but it’s a racist place,” Waititi said. “People just flat-out refuse to pronounce Maori names properly. There’s still profiling when it comes to Polynesians. It’s not even a colour thing – like, ‘Oh, there’s a black person.’ It’s, ‘If you’re Poly then you’re getting profiled.’” Waititi says as a young boy of Te Whānau-ā-Apanui descent, he was employed by a small grocery store [dairy], but was not allowed to work at the cash register. “I really cherish the memories of how I grew up, [but] it was actually pretty shit, growing up poor in the country,” said Waititi. “I remember getting a job at a dairy and they would never give me a job at the till, I was always at the back washing vegetables. And then one day one of the owners asked… Read full this story
- Thor director Taika Waititi hugs a friend at his 45th birthday party in Malibu - two years after 'separating from his wife Chelsea Winstanley'
- Thor director Taika Waititi and his filmmaker wife Chelsea Winstanley 'secretly separated two years ago' after six years of marriage
- Celebrity cat called Mittens in the running to be New Zealander of the year
- James Cameron resumes filming for Avatar sequel in New Zealand after director and crew complete 14-day quarantine
- Survivors will face New Zealand mosque gunman at sentencing
- After the Christchurch shootings, New Zealand promised change. But Muslims there still don't feel safe
- New Zealand imposes 12-day lockdown in its biggest city as it battles fresh outbreak
- Worker at New Zealand quarantine hotel tests positive for Covid-19
- New Zealand COVID Outbreak Could Have Come From Frozen Food Packaging
- Puzzling New Zealand virus outbreak grows to 17 cases
Hollywood director Taika Waititi says New Zealand is racist have 346 words, post on www.theguardian.com at April 9, 2018. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.