A CROPTHORNE charity has received public backing from Prime Minister Theresa May after it was brought to her attention by Mid Worcestershire MP Nigel Huddleston.
Mrs May tweeted her support for Action on Poverty who aid sustainable development in some of the world’s poorest regions, particularly impoverished communities in Africa.
Mr Huddleston had previously raised the charity’s work in the House of Commons in a question to former International Development Secretary Priti Patel, highlighting the charity’s work in empowering women by providing loans for businesses
Mr Huddleston said: “I am proud to have such an outstanding charity based in my constituency and glad to have been able to draw their work to the Prime Minister’s attention, having voiced my support for them in the House of Commons last year.
“Their efforts and the good that they have done in some of the world’s poorest communities deserve the recognition that the Prime Minister has given them.
“I would encourage anybody in local communities around Cropthorne who have a passion for the global fight against poverty and inequality to consider Action on Poverty as a worthy charity for their support.”
Recent initiatives by the charity include ensuring fair trade banana growers receive a fair price for their work and an apprenticeship programme to develop skills in poor rural communities.
Alex Daniels, chief executive of Action on Poverty said: “We are delighted that the Prime Minister has recognised our charity in this way.
“Action on Poverty works hard to help some of the poorest and most vulnerable people in the world – such as young people with no education or hope, women facing abuse or those eking out a living where drought threatens their survival.
“We provide the skills and knowledge needed for sustainable livelihoods, helping them to feed and provide for their families now and in the future through their own efforts.
“Many people locally are surprised to learn of a Worcestershire charity reaching out internationally to many other communities and thousands of families.
“We are proud of this impact and we greatly appreciate the recognition given.”
- MP pulls out of being best man to back PM's Brexit deal
- UK PM Theresa May vows to quit if Brexit deal approved
- Brexit latest news: Theresa May warns MPs the UK has 'had enough' of Brexit indecision
- Brexit latest news: Theresa May's deal defeated again by 58 votes
- Brexit latest news: Theresa May in 'last chance' push to persuade MPs to support EU divorce deal
- Brexit vote latest news: Theresa May's withdrawal deal being debated in Parliament
- Theresa May announces date for scheme that supports grieving parents by funding their child’s funeral costs
- Theresa May promises to stand down on chaotic night in Westminster
- Brexit latest news: MPs to vote for third time on PM's deal tomorrow
- Theresa May faces her day of reckoning on Brexit
- Brexit latest news: Jacob Rees-Mogg suggests he will now back Theresa May's deal after MPs seize control
- Brexit latest news: Theresa May seeks third vote on deal on Friday
- Jeremy Hunt holding secret breakfast meetings with ministers as he bids to become PM
- Theresa May tries to persuade MPs to vote for her Brexit deal despite major blows by DUP, attorney general and ERG
- Treacherous Theresa May has surrendered our freedom… and her honour
- Theresa May accused of offering 'bribes' to Labour MPs with £1.6bn Stronger Towns Fund as Brexit vote looms
- Theresa May to be told to quit as Prime Minister by June or Tory party will change its rules to boot her out
- Brexit latest news: Donald Tusk suggests EU will only grant Article 50 extension if MPs back Theresa May's deal
- Call for action to tackle ‘outdated’ public perceptions of homelessness
- Jeremy Hunt launches lightning bid to replace Theresa May with plea for Tories to ‘be the party for everyone’
Worcestershire charity Action in Poverty receives backing of PM Theresa May have 619 words, post on www.worcesternews.co.uk at March 13, 2018. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.