Blizzard has no plans to port its hit card game Hearthstone to Nintendo Switch, according to a leading member of the development team. The confirmation follows speculation last year that a version was in the works for the hit home/handheld console.
Currently available on PC and mobile devices, a Switch port would have marked Hearthstone’s console debut, but game designer Dean Ayala plainly told PowerUp Gaming that it won’t be happening.
“There are no plans to move Hearthstone to the Nintendo Switch,” he said.
Released in 2014, Hearthstone is a game about collecting cards and building decks for strategic games based on the fantasy lore of the Warcraft series.
Since its release Blizzard has developed several expansions, introducing new cards to collect. The latest of these were Knights of the Frozen Throne and Kobolds and Catacombs, released in August and December.
Nintendo Switch proved an instant success when it launched last March. Key to that success has been its core design, which allows the device to be both a powerful handheld and a docked home console.
That concept, coupled with an incredibly strong lineup of games, helped Switch top the sales of its five-year-old predecessor Wii U after just ten months. As of the end of 2017, nearly 15 million units had been sold.
Hearthstone being a predominantly online game makes the Switch a slightly awkward destination however, as players will be resigned to the less-appealing single player side of the game when they’re unable to connect to Wi-Fi.
Were a future version of Switch 4G or 5G compatible, however, perhaps Blizzard would reevaluate. Such a hardware revision seems unlikely however.
- Red Dead Redemption 2 May Be Coming to Nintendo Switch
- The best Nintendo Switch shooter games
- How to Voice Chat in Nintendo Switch Games
- The Nintendo Switch Lite comes with a free $25 GameStop or Amazon gift card through Sunday
- Blizzard Seemingly Teases New Overwatch 2 Hero
- Best Cyber Monday gaming deals 2019: Xbox, PlayStation, and Nintendo
- Best holiday 2019 gaming deals: Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo, and PC
- Got a holiday gift card? Best bets under $50 at Amazon, Best Buy and Walmart
- Update: Blizzard performs incredible Deathstalker Rexxar u-turn, new zombeasts are inbound!
- The making of Hearthstone Battlegrounds: 'We wanted a mode that didn't feel as polarizing'
- Hands-on: The Switch Lite is a smaller, more comfortable handheld
- 6 Changes Windows Users Need to Accept When Switching to Linux
- Keanu, comebacks and a new console: the 10 biggest stories of E3 2019
- The best free-to-play games of 2020 will help frugal gamers survive
- The 10 Best Video Game Themed Valentine’s Day Gifts
- Eurogamer readers' top 50 games of 2019
- Boxing Day sales are live already - here are the best deals so far
- Polygon’s 50 most anticipated games of 2020
- Cyber Week game deals 2019 UK
- Linedock: The Best MacBook Pro Accessory
Hearthstone port for Nintendo Switch not on the cards says Blizzard have 445 words, post on www.ibtimes.co.uk at February 13, 2018. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.