Marvel’s Black Panther is now ranked as the best movie of all-time on Rotten Tomatoes. After spending 24 years stuck in development hell, Black Panther – directed by Ryan Coogler and based on a script Coogler co-wrote with screenwriter Joe Robert Cole – is breaking all sorts of records, box office and otherwise; no matter how high it goes, it just continues to climb higher and higher.
Black Panther pulled in $201.8 million at the domestic box office in its opening weekend, thus topping Deadpool‘s February opening record as well as scoring the fifth highest-grossing opening of all-time. And now, it’s challenging Star Wars for some of its records. But that’s not all. On the critical side of things, Black Panther is tied with 2004’s The Incredibles for being the highest-rated superhero film of all-time. But with hundreds of “fresh” reviews under its belt and only a handful of “rotten” reviews, Black Panther has set yet another record that would’ve been laughed at and considered seemingly impossible a year ago.
Black Panther is now the highest-rated movie of all-time on review-aggregate website Rotten Tomatoes. Marvel’s film currently has a 97 percent score based on 310 reviews – 300 “fresh“, 10 “rotten” – which tops Victor Fleming’s The Wizard of Oz. The iconic 1939 film has a score of 100 percent based on 110 reviews, of which only one is considered “rotten.” Of course, some of those reviews were written somewhat recently by new movie news outlets.
While Rotten Tomatoes’ top 100 movies of all-time list is flooded with older films, especially ones from Hollywood’s Golden Age, many recent top-rated movies are starting to break into the higher spots. For instance, 2017’s Get Out currently sits in fifth place, while 2015’s Mad Max: Fury Road and 2018’s Paddington 2 sit in seventh and eighth place, respectively. Rounding out the top 25 are 2015’s Inside Out (#11), 2017’s Lady Bird (#12), 2016’s Moonlight (#15), 2015’s Spotlight (#21), and 2017’s The Big Sick (#25).
Of course, other recent films such as Dunkirk and Wonder Woman snag other spots on the list, but this trend shows that because newer films have more reviews than older ones, they are placed higher on the list even though their average ratings may be lower than their Golden Age counterparts. (Wizard of Oz has an average 9.4 rating, whereas Black Panther has 8.2, yet it’s ranked higher.) Also, Rotten Tomatoes’ scores are determined based on a simple liked it/disliked it grading, not the actual scores determined by critics. It’s worth noting when it comes to defining the highest-rated films.
Source: Rotten Tomatoes
- Avengers: Infinity War / The Avengers 3 release date: May 4, 2018
- Ant-Man & The Wasp release date: Jul 6, 2018
- Captain Marvel release date: Mar 8, 2019
- The Avengers 4 / Untitled Avengers Movie release date: May 3, 2019
- Untitled Spider-Man: Homecoming Sequel release date: Jul 5, 2019
More in Movie News
- ‘Black Panther’ shatters box-office records, scores a huge $218 million Presidents’ Day weekend
- The 6 movies that have a 100% critic score on Rotten Tomatoes in 2018, including 'Crazy Rich Asians'
- Marvel is making a serious 'best picture' push for the first time to get 'Black Panther' nominated at the Oscars
- 'Black Panther' shatters box office records, and is heading toward a huge $218 million Presidents' Day weekend
- 'Black Panther' shatters US box office records, scores a huge $218 million Presidents' Day weekend
- Inside the surprise success of 'A Quiet Place' — from a worrisome test screening to a 100% Rotten Tomatoes score
- Can Avengers: Infinity War Top Black Panther?
- Netflix's 'Luke Cage' producer talks about returning for season 2 after the success of 'Black Panther'
- 'Black Panther' star Chadwick Boseman confirmed Marvel wants a 'best picture' Oscar, not just one for 'popular film'
- 5 movies in 2018 that could be nominated for the new, controversial 'popular film' award at the Oscars
- The 100 highest-grossing movies of all time at the worldwide box office
- The best and worst movies of the year, according to critics
- 21 movies we’re looking forward to in 2019 that aren’t reboots, sequels, or same-old superheroes
- 'Captain Marvel' is already making big money at the box office, despite the trolls
- Marvel apologized for leaving Danai Gurira's name off the top of the 'Avengers: Endgame' poster and shared a new version
- 'Avengers: Endgame' poised to topple box office records
- 13 directors who would be worthy replacements for James Gunn on 'Guardians of the Galaxy 3'
- 9 characters who could die in 'Avengers: Infinity War,' ranked by how likely it is
- 'Avengers: Infinity Wars' opens with record $250M, passing 'Star Wars'
- 'Crazy Rich Asians' dominates the box office with a $25.2 million weekend take, $34 million 5-day opening
Black Panther Is Rotten Tomatoes' Best Movie of All-Time have 811 words, post on screenrant.com at February 20, 2018. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.