DC Comics is shining a spotlight on some of its most marginalized superheroes in a new miniseries written by Oscar-winning 12 Years a Slave screenwriter John Ridley. DC Comics announced the new series, The Other History of the DC Universe, focusing on characters who “come from traditionally disenfranchised groups,” DC announced Friday. DC named characters John Stewart, Extraño, Vixen, Supergirl, Katana, and Renee Montoya as some of the characters being featured in the series. SEE ALSO: Homemade shot-for-shot remake of the ‘Justice League’ trailer proves you don’t need a big budget for big thrills The miniseries is focusing on persons of color, female characters, and LGBTQ characters, giving readers a chance to look inside the stories of characters who unfortunately don’t get to enjoy the spotlight as often as straight, white, male superheroes. Instead of going for traditional “hero saves the day” storylines, The Other History of the DC Universe will focus on “the lives of those behind the costumes, and their endeavors to overcome real-world issues.” Before Ridley was pegged to take on this project, he wrote for a handful of movies and TV shows, earning an Oscar for his work on 12 Years a Slave and earning an… Read full this story
- DC Comics Is Trying to Clobber Marvel With a Shocking New Story
- Comics Writer/Artist Darwyn Cooke Dead at 53
- SAS soldier who guarded Billy Connolly on Comic Relief trip diagnosed with PTSD
- The Other History of the DC Universe title by John Ridley gets new release date and artists
- Mercy and more: Inside the works of writer/artist Mirka Andolfo
- Comic-Con 2018: James Gunn Teases Movie Reveal [Update]
- Mayim Bialik teams with DC Entertainment for series of educational superhero comic books
- Heroes Reborn and Grimm Are Coming to Comic Con
- Deathstroke Knights & Dragons: The Movie Review: DC Villain Gets a Bloody, Melodramatic Makeover
- Oscars 2019: who are this year's early frontrunners?
DC Comics, '12 Years a Slave' writer put spotlight on disenfranchised heroes have 307 words, post on mashable.com at January 12, 2018. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.