Chattanooga’s Jim Foster began coaching long before he was old enough to drive. Foster was playing on a CYO team at 13 when his coach quit and a priest selected Foster as player-coach for the rest of the season. ”Probably because I was the only one who could pass, catch and dribble,” Foster quipped this week. Foster’s next win will be the 900th of his college coaching career, tying former Texas coach Jody Conradt for seventh all-time. He is 899-341 in 40 seasons as a college head coach at St. Joseph’s, Vanderbilt, Ohio State and Chattanooga. The only women’s basketball coaches with more wins are former Tennessee coach Pat Summitt, Stanford’s Tara VanDerveer, Connecticut’s Geno Auriemma, North Carolina’s Sylvia Hatchell, Bentley’s Barbara Stevens (Division II) and Rutgers’ C. Vivian Stringer. The 69-year-old Foster will become the latest coach to reach a magic number this year. Auriemma , Hatchell and Stevens all earned their 1,000th wins this season. Stringer is six wins away from 1,000 with eight games remaining in the regular season. Foster would prefer not to think about No. 900, particularly with Chattanooga struggling more than usual in its bid for a sixth consecutive Southern Conference title. His first… Read full this story
- Xinhua Headlines: In green milestone, China to end solid waste imports
- OVERNIGHT DEFENSE: Biden taps ex-Obama chief for VA | Shutdown looms amid standoff | SCOTUS rules on rape cases in military
- Wolfsburg’s Schafer on club’s big American influence, USMNT’s Berhalter
- A mother's fragile recovery reminds us that the opioid crisis is still here
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Mastercard - Barr splits with Trump on election; pardon controversy
- Coronavirus news from the Bay Area: Nov. 27-Dec. 3
- Who won the first presidential debate?
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Facebook - COVID-19 vaccine moves ahead. Congress? Not so much
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Mastercard - Congress inches closer to virus relief deal
- How Indy legend AJ Foyt scaled racing's greatest heights
Chattanooga’s Foster downplays looming 900-win milestone have 328 words, post on www.foxsports.com at January 26, 2018. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.