Get Out, Jordan Peele’s directorial debut about race relations and the dangers of white women who drink milk, is many things: scathing commentary on interracial dating; a horror satire; occasionally funny. But is it funny enough to be a “comedy”?
Maybe! Who knows! My opinion certainly doesn’t matter, because, per Entertainment Weekly, Get Out is competing as a comedy in the Golden Globes. Is this weird? Sure, but what makes me feel better about this news is this: Given the other men who could be nominated for Best Actor, Daniel Kaluuya might take this shit home.
Per EW, the other men who could possibly be nominated for Best Actor—Motion Picture Musical or Comedy are Hugh Jackman (The Greatest Showman), Kumail Nanjiani (The Big Sick), James Franco (The Disaster Artist), Matt Damon (Downsizing), and Steve Carell (Battle of the Sexes). Nanjiani’s performance in The Big Sick was poignant and charming and sharp, so he feels like a likely contender. Everyone else in that rumored list of possible nominees? Eh. James Franco as James Franco, doing James Franco in a movie that didn’t need to be made? No award for you! Hugh Jackman, singing, in a top hat and tails? No! Steve Carrell in ‘70s tennis drag? Matt Damon in this Honey, I Shrunk The Kids-esque movie about over-population? Hell no, and no sir!
Get Out isn’t a knee-slapper. I can’t imagine The Disaster Artist is either, but for very different reasons. Who knows why this movie is shoehorned into this catch-all category, but it works for me—maybe this curious bit of award show trickery will work out for the best.
- Viewers Will Not Miss a Moment During Awards Season
- Did You Catch the Emmy Awards?
- Autumn Season - The Best Musicals in Madrid
- Top 10 Comedy Films
- Tips For Planning an End of Season Team Awards Dinner
- The Best of Seinfeld is Season Seven
- English Premiership Player of the Year Award 2009 Nominations
- Top Maui Hotels - Award-Winning Places to Stay In
- College Track Athletes - Off Season Training and What it Takes to Compete
- William Holman Hunt - A 'Pre-Raphaelite' Phenomenon of Competence
- Half Way Through the FORMULA 1 Season
- Turkey Hunting Season - Smart Ideas On Getting The Best Hunt
- Betting Advice - End of Season Soccer Matches
- Tis the Season to Save Money and Build Wealth
- Seasonal Trends - Celebrity Jewelry Inspired by the Stars
- Top TV Programmes Compete Against Each Other at RTS Awards Show
- Still Game team to receive two Scottish Bafta awards
- Beginners Guide to Dante - An Introduction to the Divine Comedy
- Night Life in Orlando - Universal and Disney Compete For the Entertainment Audience
- Looking Back at the 2008 Formula One Season
Will Compete as a Comedy (?!?!) During Awards Season have 435 words, post on jezebel.com at November 13, 2017. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.