Hundreds of furious protesters clashed with riot police ahead of the arrival of Donald Trump in the Philippines.
Carrying placards declaring “Dump Trump” and “Down with U.S. Imperialism”, the left-wing protesters in Manila were blocked by police in riot gear with shields and batons .
They were trying to reach U.S. embassy – but were showered with jets of water from a fire engine.
After protesters were dispersed, Alexis Danday, 18, said: “Trump is the CEO of the imperialist government of the US.
“We know he is here to push for unfair treaties between the Philippines and the U.S.”
The U.S. President arrived in Manila for a gala event celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Association of South-East Asian Nations and other east Asian nations today.
Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte greeted Trump and other leaders one by one as they arrived at the convention centre.
Trump, dressed in a traditional Barong, and Duterte shook hands twice and exchanged pleasantries.
They then posed for a photo and heading off for dinner.
He is also due to meet leaders from East Asia Summit countries, like China, Japan, South Korea, Australia, during the two-day meeting.
Prior to his arrival in Philippines, Trump said he was prepared to mediate in the dispute over the South China Sea, where four ASEAN countries and Taiwan contest China’s sweeping claims to the busy waterway.
He flew to the Philippines from Vietnam, where he met President Duterte on the sidelines of the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation meetings.
There, he said: “If I can help mediate or arbitrate, please let me know. I’m a very good mediator and arbitrator.”
The Philippines will be Trump’s last stop on a marathon tour that has taken him to Japan, South Korea, China as well as Vietnam.
- Donald Trump will be axed as US president in ‘first few months of 2019’ claims political expert
- Cost of hosting Donald Trump? An eye-watering £14 million ... and rising
- A look back at Donald Trump’s tumultuous second year in office
- Donald Trump’s UK visit cost £14.2m in policing, figures show
- Donald Trump visits US-Mexico border to boost case for wall
- Donald Trump to visit UK for Nato summit
- Who was on Donald Trump’s inaugural committee and why are they being investigated?
- Donald Trump's private visit to Scotland cost £3.2million in policing
- Donald Trump UK State Visit could happen just weeks after Brexit
- Donald Trump visits US-Mexico border amid impasse over wall funding
- Venezuela’s president visits troops while opposition chief rallies protesters
- Cost to Essex Police of US President Donald Trump’s visit revealed
- Donald Trump state visit planned for 75th anniversary of D-Day
- Donald Trump’s State of the Union speech changes nothing
- Donald Trump expected to visit London in December for Nato summit
- US president Donald Trump is set to visit the UK in December
- Trump in Hot Water for Backing Students Falsely Blamed of Mocking Native Elder
- Donald Trump to visit UK for Nato summit in December
- Donald Trump set to visit the UK in December for major Nato summit
- Donald Trump set for second visit to UK
Donald Trump protesters soaked with water canons as they riot over US President's visit have 501 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at November 12, 2017. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.